What’s for Dinner?
French Toast for Dinner
-Francine Segan, FrancineSegan.com
Why not serve breakfast for dinner? It’s fun and I promise that no food police will come and arrest you for switching the order of your meals around a little.
You can assemble the whole thing in the morning before you go to work. It can stay in the frig all day and will still taste wonderful.
Serve a cup of vegetable soup or a salad first, then dig into the fluffy, flavorful cream cheese centers on this sensational baked French Toast.
24 slices of cinnamon raisin bread, crusts trimmed
4 cups of half and half
3 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
16 ounces cream cheese
Maple syrup or jam, optional
1. Lightly butter a 3-quart baking pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with half the bread slices.
2. In a medium bowl combine 6 of the eggs with all the half and half, 1 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Pour half the egg mixture over the bread.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the cream cheese, remaining 2 eggs, teaspoon of vanilla, and 2 cups of sugar until smooth and creamy.
4. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the bread layer. Arrange the rest of the bread over the filling and top with the remaining egg mixture.
5. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Cover and refrigerate overnight or while you are at work.
6. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
7. Serve with maple syrup or jam if you like.