Getting Off the Couch … For Good!
-Carol Lustig, DivineCaroline.com
There’s a big misconception out in the universe that getting healthy is complicated.
In the last month I’ve had quite a few people in my little corner of that universe come to me and ask, “how do I get started working out and eating right, it’s all so confusing.” So here’s my answer: “Stop listening to all the confusing information out there and just eat real food and get off the couch.”
When I tell them that they say, “It can’t be that simple.” Ah, but it is!
Ok, so here are my few simple steps to eating healthy:
• If it comes in a box or a bag, is precooked, comes from a drive-thru, or has ingredients you can’t pronounce—don’t eat it.
• If it came from an animal that has not been fed hormones or from fish that swam in an ocean, not a man-made farm … eat it.
• If it came from a garden that has not been drenched in pesticides … eat it.
My few simple steps to getting physically healthy:
• Pick two days out of the week right now to start moving. Telling someone they have to work out five days a week when they are doing absolutely nothing right now is daunting. So, start with two days and when you’ve mastered that schedule add one more day, etc.
• You’re not going to go from couch sitter to marathon runner overnight. Start at a pace you can manage. Nobody wants to feel like they are failing, they want to succeed. So just walk—if it’s snowing then walk around your home. Just make a commitment to get off the couch two days and move for thirty minutes. Once you really have your two days of moving under your belt and are confident you have mastered moving—add on by trying a workout DVD.