Top Picks: Golden Globe Highlights
1. The Great Kate! In case you missed Kate Winslet’s acceptance speeches (yes both!) last night, here’s her second very sweet speech. Don’t the other ladies look so gracious? The glorious Kate has been nominated before for both Globes and Oscars but had never won before last night – when she stole both the best actress (For Revolutionary Road) and Best Supporting Actress (The Reader) awards! We’re thrilled for this superbly talented actress, and we love that she thanked her kids and later called her mum with the great news. (Daily Mail)
2. Heath Ledger’s family is “overjoyed” at the actor’s posthumous win last night. His father couldn’t make the ceremony, but we’re sure it must make him and the rest of Heath’s family so proud … what a bittersweet moment. Heath won for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his work as The Joker in The Dark Knight. Said Christopher Nolan, the film’s director: “For any of us lucky enough to work with him, I think for any of us lucky enough to have enjoyed his performances, he will be eternally missed. But he will never be forgotten.” (MTV.com)
3. Tina Fey to her real life Internet critics: “Suck it!” Yep, folks, she wasn’t kidding either. During her acceptance speech for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy, the fabulous Fey rattled off the real handles – “Babsonlacrosse,” “Dlanefan” and “Cougarletter” – of people who criticized her on sites like Los Angeles Times’ Gold Derby forums. “If you ever start to feel too good about yourself, they have this thing called the Internet. You can find a lot of people there who don’t like you,” she quipped. You won’t find any haters here Tina! (NBCChicago.com)
4. Speaking of 30 Rock, the award for most bizarre/funny acceptance speech goes to … Tracy Morgan. He started off by announcing that, since Barack Obama won the election, he and Tina Fey agreed he would speak for the show from now on. He called himself the “face of post-racial America” and added “deal with it, Cate Blanchett.” We wonder if Cate got the joke there because we didn’t!
5. Finally, Renee Zellweger is topping ALL of the Worst-Dressed lists from last night, with her sheer topped, frothy fishtailed Carolina Hererra dress. We actually kind of like her get-up! It’s more creative than say Kate Winslet’s – who looked beautiful but safe. What do you think?