What’s for Dinner?
Good Old Fashioned Tuna a la King
-Francine Segan, Bettys Food+Home Editor, FrancineSegan.com
This dish is quick, economical and delicious!
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 small onion minced
1 green or red bell pepper minced
1 carrot, grated
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of cayenne
pinch of nutmeg
12 ounces canned tuna, drained
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
noodles or rice
1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, green pepper, and carrot, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the milk, salt, cayenne, and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Stir in the tuna and parsley.
5. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thick, about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Serve over rice or noodles.