What’s for Dinner?
Grilled Tuna Steaks
With zucchini pasta and artichoke sauce
-Courtesy Damon Stainbrook
The thought of mercury in your seafood is enough to ruin anyone’s appetite. Damon is working with the mercury certification program – Safe Harbor – to ensure the fish used in his delicious recipes meets strict standards for mercury content and is caught using only sustainable methods. Ask your fish store about Safe Harbor and you can enjoy this delicious dish with no worries!
4 tuna steaks, 6 ounces each
• 4 cups julienne-cut green and gold zucchini
• 2 tsp kosher salt
• 16 oz peel, seeded and diced tomatoes
• 1 medium yellow onion diced
• 3 cloves garlic minced
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 1 cup diced marinated baby artichokes
• 1 to 2 teaspoons finely minced hot or mild chile pepper, or to taste
• 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
• Black pepper to taste
Black olive tapenade:
• 1 cups pitted Kalamata olives chopped (or olives of your liking)
• 1 big garlic clove minced
• 1 tablespoon capers
• 1⁄4 cup fresh Basil leaves chopped
• 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
• Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar
• 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all Tapenade ingredients, tasting and adding salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let stand at room temperature before serving. Makes 1-1⁄2 cups
Julienne the zucchini into long thin pasta like shape. Toss with salt and let sit in colander for 15 minutes. Zucchini will soften to an al dente consistency.
To make the sauce, cook onion and garlic with salt over low heat in a heavy bottom pot until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and simmer for thirty minutes. Add artichokes, chile pepper and basil and simmer another ten minutes. Add black pepper to taste and set sauce aside to cool.
Right before grilling tuna, toss the sauce and zucchini together in large bowl.
Pull tuna steaks out of fridge 15 minutes before cooking which will help to keep the tuna from sticking to the grill (if using). Season tuna steaks with salt and pepper, then brush lightly with oil.
Lightly brush a grill rack, or broiler pan with a little oil. Grill tuna over coals medium high heat. Turn after about 2-3 minutes for rare tuna, 4 to 6 minutes for more medium to well-done. Tuna should maintain a pink center, but will flake easily around edges.
To finish, twist equal portions of pasta onto four plates, top with grilled tuna and tablespoon of tapenade.