Style + Beauty Editor
How to Control Sweating
Turn your summer from sweat to sweet…
-Lois Joy Johnson
Most of us can’t stand sweating, much less talking about it–unless it’s in that casual bragging gym-like way: “Wow, I was dripping after my spinning class today!” or “Wow, that was hot!” And who wants to spend her non-gym time worrying about how to control sweating?
(Believe it or not, it used to be a hot topic. At one point, instead of blah-blah Viagra and Boniva commercials, there were clever deodorant ones. Donna Karan even appeared in a Dry Idea “Never Let Them See You Sweat” campaign, but of course, that was before she had her own couture-y $18 Cashmere Mist Deodorant/Anti-Perspirant.)
For severe cases of underarm sweating and odor (called axillary hyperhydrosis), your dermatologist can inject Botox directly into your armpits to block the release of the chemical responsible for stimulating sweat glands. Ouch! But the effect lasts four or five months and really works for extreme cases. The medical and beauty worlds are now colliding and blending in a never-ending drama of new anti-sweat technology…and new updated scents and packaging that are adding fun and variety to a once-bland staple. Try my favorites, available at drugstores now:
For job interviews, court appearances, blind-dates and anytime you’re wearing a very expensive or borrowed item:
Go for the extreme clinical category that contains high amounts of aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex gly – between 17 and 20 percent. These used to be Rx formulas for serious underarm circle types that used to be available only at a doctor’s office, but many are available OTC in the drugstore now.
• Secret Clinical Strength Anti-Perspirant Deodorant Light and Fresh Scent ($9.99)
• Dove Clinical protection Anti-Perspirant Deodorant Solid in Cool Essentials ($8.49)
• Arrid Ultima Clinical Protection Anti-Perspirant Deodorant in Clean Mist ($5.99)
For when you’re wearing a sleeveless LBD and cannot have one speck of white crud showing at the armhole:
Look for a clear, no-residue gel that practically announces itself as a bodyguard.
• Degree Women Ultra-Clear 100 % Little Black Dress Approved Anti- Perspirant Deodorant in Pure Rain ($4.79)
• Mitchum for Women Smart Solid Anti- Perspirant Deodorant in Rosepetal ($5.29)
• Lady Speed Stick Anti-Perspirant Invisible Dry Deodorant ($3.19 ) in Fruity Melon or Wild Violet
• Secret Fresh Effects in Orange Blossom Verbena ($4.29)
This one uses the same odor-sensing technology from Febreze the furniture spray!
For fashionistas who like a little shot of trendiness with everything, try:
The new body mist and underarm combos make fragrance superfluous.
• Degree Women Clinical protection Anti-Perspirant Deodorant in Classic Romance ($6.99) and Degree Women Body Mist in Classic Romance ($4.99)
• Dove Go Fresh Energizing Anti-Perspirant Deodorant ($3.79 ) and Dove Go Fresh Energizing Body Mist ( $3.79 ) both with a grapefruit and lemongrass scent
For when you’re feeling particularly “green,” try:
• Burt’s Bees Herbal Deodorant Spray with Sage( $5.57) has a blend of sage, lemon and lavender to neutralize odors naturally
• Tom’s of Maine Natural Deodorant Roll-On in Calendula
($5.99) uses odor-trapping zinc ricinoleate derived from castor beans and has a natural outdoorsy smell
• Weleda Wild Rose Deodorant Spray ($15) pure essential oils of rose and neroli
• Nature’s Gate Organics Fruit Blend Deodorant in Mandarin Orange Patchouli ($5.49) organic botanical and baking soda to absorb and neutralize odors