Style + Beauty Editor
How Ugly Betty Got Gorgeous
Her step-by-step awards-night makeup
-Lois Joy Johnson
I confess. I watch Ugly Betty every week simply because so many of the plots contain elements from my former magazine life that are so…true. Although I probably have more in common with Wilhelmina Slater than I’d like to admit and there are definite parallels between my very early career and that of Marc St. James, it’s Betty that has stolen the show, or rather America Ferrera has.
At the Kids’ Choice Awards last Saturday night, celebrity makeup artist Vanessa Scali took America Ferrera glam in six steps. Here’s how she did it, and how you can do this makeover quickie, too:
1. Create a more even skin tone by blending on a lightweight matte foundation like Armani Lasting Silk UV SPF 20 Foundation ($58).Then, use Lancôme Effacernes Concealer ($27.50), which is waterproof and perfect for circles and spots that require extra coverage. With this combo you won’t need powder or a touchup all day or night.
2. Dab a shimmery highlighter on cheekbones and browbones for a soft glow. Armani Fluid Sheer #2 ($58)–a peachy shade–worked here. It’s also great to use with self-tanner to keep your enhanced skin tone from looking too flat.
3. Apply Lancôme Color Design Cream Blush ($27 lancome-usa.com to the apples of the cheeks for a pop of color. Scali used the Pret a Plum shade on Ferrera, but choose one that makes your skin look warmer and fresher. I like two other shades for myself–Signature Look, which is a warm pink, and Petticoat Pink, a cooler pink.
5. Layer several coats of Lancôme Oscillation Mascara in Black
($34)–no fakes needed with this!
6. For lips, custom-mix two glosses to get a shade that is unique to you: For America, Scali combined Lancôme La Laque Fever Gloss in Cyber Coral and Techno Brick ($25 each) to get a pinky-coral shade that matched her dress.