What’s for Dinner?
Michelle Obama’s Shortbread Cookies
With Election Day 2008 rapidly approaching, we’re used to what each of the candidates has to offer our country, but do we know what their wives have to offer? We’re talking about baked goods, of course. We chose this cookie recipe from Dailynews.com to share with you … enjoy!
1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons Amaretto (almond liqueur)
1 teaspoon each orange and lemon zest
3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg white
Chopped nuts or dried fruit (optional)
1) Heat oven to 325F. Line a 17 x 12 x 1-inch baking pan with nonstick foil. In large bowl, cream together butter and 1-1/2 cups of the sugar.
2) Slowly add egg yolks, and beat well until smooth. Beat in Amaretto and zest.
3) Stir in flour and salt until combined.
4) Spread dough evenly into prepared pan, flattening as smoothly as possible.
5) Brush top of dough with egg white; sprinkle with nuts or fruit (if using) and with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
6) Bake at 325F for 25 minutes or until brown, turn off oven and allow cookies to sit in oven (with door ajar) for 15 minutes. Cut while slightly warm.