Michelle O Is Our New Style Icon
7 more things to love about her
-Lois Joy Johnson
Move over Jackie and Audrey, there’s a new fashion force and she’s topping the best-dressed list of every fashion editor I know. Michelle Obama’s got her own take on urban chic and her fresh, modern look is a relief – even when she makes so-called mistakes. While her husband assumes the helm of the nation, Michelle has taken fashion in her stride.
Here are seven simply superficial things I love about her:
1. She’s moved on from old First Lady favorites like Oscar de la Renta and Carolina Herrera (known for their starchy ladylike suits and stiff dowager ballgowns during the Reagan, Clinton, Bush administrations) in favor of a brand new mix of designers that include Narcisco Rodriguez, Thakoon and Chicagoan Maria Pinto. In fact Maria Pinto is Michelle’s find, kind of reminiscent of the way Jackie O turned Oleg Cassini into her personal couturier.
Narciso Rodriguez coat and skirt duo from the “We Are One” concert.
2. She chooses clothes that play up her tall and toned physique, especially those buff arms and fabulous legs. Don’t expect any pantsuits to start popping up any time soon – she only wears pants for the most casual occasions. Most women in the political arena play it safe, opt for coverage and end up looking totally corseted, coiffed and retro. Michelle’s fashion choices always are on-trend and have a personal touch that lets us know she has given the matter some thought.
Michelle’s cap sleeve cornflower blue Maria Pinto dress with a fabulous long necklace from the 3rd Presidential Debate.
3. She adds big gutsy black belts to her clothes for more definition at the waist with the conviction of a born fashionista. Her studded Azzedine Alia belt turned a pretty dress into pretty fabulous. How many or us would have the chutzpa to do that?
Love her black studded Azzedine Alia belt with the Maria Pinto fuchsia sheath – and of course the famous fist-bump!
4. She loves wearing dramatic colors. No wallflower when it comes to hues, Michelle radiates energy and optimism in fiery red, turquoise, violet and yellow. Her wardrobe doesn’t have a basic neutral- it’s an entire rainbow.
Michelle’s Maria Pinto turquoise sheath from the Democratic National Convention.
5. She knows how to shop high and low. Michelle wore an entire J. Crew yellow outfit on Tonight with Jay Leno that sold out the next day. On The View she wore a $148 White House/Black Market dress, and on one campaign stop she was photographed a striped H&M dress that sold for $34.95.
Michelle’s budget style.
6. She isn’t afraid to experiment and take chances. If she likes it, she likes it and some looks don’t quite have the punch of others. Michelle, do yourself a favor and leave the Moschino shirtdress in the closet, and the Narcisco loose peach dress too. However I adore her complete lack of hesitation in sticking on a giant brooch or three, the way she threw a cardigan over her Narcisco Rodriguez “lava lamp” dress on Election Night, color coordinated the entire family, and then added enormous sexy $10,275 Loree Rodkin dangle earrings with it. That’s style! I know there are lots of women who said this dress was a mistake but we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.
7. You never know what she’ll turn up in next. Michelle is a fashion rockstar who knocks celebrities dressed by stylists out of the ballpark.
And best of all we will now have a First Lady who can give France a run for her money. Take that Carla Bruni-Sarkozy!