Style + Beauty Editor
Mother’s Day Gifts
We’ve made shopping this year easier than ever with these gift ideas, from $9.99 to $95
-Lois Joy Johnson
Daughters and mothers are the new sisters–sharing way more than a set of genes. Age apparently means little when you both have a mutual taste for skyscraper pumps, skinny jeans, huge dangly earrings, or message tees. And that would seem to make choosing Mother’s Day gifts easier than ever.
Check out duos like Rumer Willis and Demi Moore, Kate Hudson and Goldie Hawn, Kelly and Sharon Osbourne, Ivanka and Ivana Trump, Chelsea and Hillary Clinton, and Eva Amurri and Susan Sarandon to see exactly where I’m heading. Even Michelle, Malia and Sasha Obama seem to have popped out of the same fashion egg.
I’m betting you and your mom have a lot more in common than you think, but even if you don’t I’m going to make finding the perfect gift easy. Let’s be honest. The usual Mother’s Day “gift sets” are a drag–no one uses those tiny little sample-size gift-with-purchase things anyway. Plus, the prices of the so-called “specials” on offer were too crazy for the more budget-conscious times we’re living in now. I’ve kept everything $95 and under with lower price choices in each category.
Just choose your MOM’s “type” from the categories below, and you’re done. Borrowing encouraged!
IF YOUR MOM IS…
A FASHIONISTA: She probably got you started on logo-bags (or loaned you hers) and sends you a confidence-boosting bottle of Chanel No.5 every time you breakup with a boyfriend. She’s your stylist-on-call and your Project Runway-watching pal.
Give her something chic, like:
• Kenneth Cole hammered gold cuff bracelet ($88, kennethcole.com)
• J. Crew skinny metallic leather belt in gold or silver ($29.50, jcrew.com)
• Michael Stars long sleeve shawl cardigan ($70, michaelstars.com) the new “pashmina”substitute
• Serena Williams Pave Dome Lucky Ring ($57.50, HSN.com)
• A Hollywood Bob at Fantastic Sam’s there are franchises x-country ($35, for a cut and services or products)
AN ECO CHICK: She got you into organic gardening, juicing and took you to whale sighting in Alaska when you wanted to go to Disneyland. Now she’s got you wearing eco-friendly fabrics, attending green rallies and driving a Prius.
Get her something earthy, like:
• The Mother Earth Palette from Smashbox ($45, sephora.com) organic+ recyclable, sustainable packaging
• Lavanila Vanilla Spice Healthy Fragrance ($56, sephora.com) 100 % botanicals
• A Tonic by Donna Karan and Urban Zen message eco-tee ($65, tonic.com) the Future For Our Children or Preserving Cultures slogan!
• Earth Footwear Exer-Fit Sandals ($54.95, zappos.com)
A CORPORATE OVER-ACHIEVER: She still checks your resume or copy, signs you both up for networking events and sends you financial news in her nightly 2 A.M. e-mails. She’s the reason you’re a type-A too.
Give her something practical, like:
• Banana Republic white cotton wrap blouse ($29.99, bananarepublic.com)
• A Tory Burch leather card case ($85,bloomingdales.com)
• Style & Co. flat frame wallet ($14.99, macys.com) in yellow or green so she can find it fast
• Soma Intimates Cool Nights Soothing Gown ($45, soma.com) moisture-wicking empire in basic black or Jackie blue
• Urban Jungle raffia weave large hobo bag in caramel or black ($34.95, nyandcompany.com)
• Bath & Body Works Stress Relief Kit ($21, bathandbodyworks.com) aromatherapy soothers that work!
YOUR CONFIDANTE: She went on the South Beach Diet with you, never brings up your first husband, and insists you look thin in those yoga pants (when you’re totally not). She’s the first person you call.
Get her something fun, like:
• Victoria’s Secret Convertible Dress ($95, victoriassecret.com) matte jersey dress you can wear ten ways
• Nick & Nora cropped cotton PJs in the Fruit Labels print ($24.99, target.com)
• Daisy Fuentes favorite tees in hot pink and violet ($9.99 each, Kohls.com)
• Philosophy Raspberry Sorbet 3-in-1 shampoo, body wash, bubble bath ($16, macys.com)
• Old Navy madras linen blend scarf hobo beach bag ($19.50, oldnavy.com)
• DKNY Be Delicious eau de parfum spray ($55, bloomingdales.com)
A COUGAR: She’s divorced, dating and having a Carrie Bradshaw social life you secretly envy. She reminds you to get pedicures, buys you lacy push-up bras and tried to fix you up with her dentist’s son and her trainer.
Get her something cheeky, like:
• Banana Republic party chandelier earrings ($49, bananarepublic.com)
• Charla Krupp’s How Not To Look Old paperback freshly updated with 150 new Brilliant Buys ($15.99, amazon.com)
• Wildfox Couture’s cotton Love Potion #9 or Girls Just Wanna Have Fun message tees ($64 each, wildfoxcouture.com)
• Gap purple kneelength robe in clingy modal/spandex ($58, gap.com)
• Ralph Lauren Notorious eau de parfum spray ($65, macys.com) yummy spicy oriental scent with patchouli and black currant
• J.Crew rattan clutch ($48, jcrew.com) holds cell, keys and more
A SIXTIES BOHEMIAN AT HEART: She still loves minis, anything with fringe, floral prints and faded jeans. She knows all the words to every Beatles and Stones song and can’t wait for Woodstock’s 40th anniversary this summer.
Get her something nostalgic, like:
• Nine West “Super Natural” floral tiered top ($69, ninewest.com)
• Moschino Cheap and Chic Hippy Fizz eau de toilette ($55, macys.com) a sparkly citrus spray
• Cha Cha Vente ruffled purple cotton voile peasant tunic ($44, macys.com)
• Gerard Yosca for Calypso gold plated wire bracelet with big green stone charm ($60, calypso-celle.com)
• Old Navy cotton bohemian print long scarf ($12.50, oldnavy.com) in “Cool Combo”
• Sonia Kashuk How To Look Organically Natural makeup set ($19.99, target.com)
No matter what you pick from these Mother’s Day gifts, it’s sure to be a hit with your mom.