Nonstick Cooking with Michael Symon
Tips for cooking in nonstick pans
The other day, handsome celebrity chef Michael Symon showed us how to sear a steak. It was love at first sight!
Oh, but not for Michael, who was named the next Iron Chef in 2007. He’s great too, but the object of our infatuation is Calphalon’s new line of nonstick pans, which he was demonstrating.
They’re not only really, truly nonstick, but can be used on the stove top AND in the oven. Plus, they are dishwasher safe. Here are some tips he gave for using nonstick pans as well as a great recipe to try.
Tips for Non-Stick, Stove-Top Cooking:
1. Preheat the pan using the heat setting you intend to use when cooking, before adding oil or butter. Allow the oil or butter to heat for a minute before adding food.
2. Remove food from the refrigerator 10 minutes before you cook. Ice-cold food is more likely to stick to a hot pan.
3. Do not use aerosol cooking sprays with nonstick cookware. These sprays can build up on cookware and become difficult to remove.
4. To keep cooking fats to a minimum, try using an oil mister filled with your favorite oil, or dab a bit of oil or butter on a paper towel and wipe the cooking surface of the pan.
5. Use only plastic, coated, nylon or wooden utensils with non-stick cookware to protect the pan’s nonstick surface.
6. Never immerse a hot pan in cold water. That can cause the pan to warp!
7. Never use abrasive cleansers or steel wool pads on nonstick surfaces.
Spinach, Ham & Gruyere Frittata
Courtesy of Calphalon
Serves 4 – 6
Delicious served with salsa and warm bread.
10 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves, blanched and drained
1/2 cup diced red pepper, blanched
1/2 cup ham, diced
2 cups grated Gruyere or Fontina cheese
4 teaspoons butter
Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the other ingredients (except for butter) to the bowl with eggs and mix.
Preheat the bottom of the Calphalon UnisonTM Nonstick 10″ Frittata pan set on medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of the butter. Allow the butter to melt and heat for a minute. When the foam from the butter begins to subside, add the egg mixture. Continue to cook the egg mixture on medium low heat until the egg mixture just begins to set over the entire surface.
While the egg mixture is cooking preheat the top of the Calphalon UnisonTM Frittata pan set on medium heat. When the egg mixture in the bottom of the frittata set begins to set up across its entire surface add the other 2 teaspoons of butter to the heating top of the set. Swirl the butter all over the inside of the top pan. Quickly interlock helper handles of both pans and close the set. Flip the closed pans allowing the egg mixture to fall into the other pan. Place on the heat and cook for an additional minute or two.
After one or two minutes, flip the interlocked pans again. Remove the top pan and gently shake the frittata loose and onto warmed serving plate.