Oven Fried Catfish with Succotash
An easy to follow recipe, you can make delicious catfish with succotash in under 45 minutes.
-Gena Knox, fireandflavor.com
Fried catfish was often times a Friday night event in my hometown. I have lighted the recipe by oven frying which makes it a little easier to clean the kitchen after cooking. I always serve with a plate of lemons slices and pickles, just like we did growing up.
Prep time 10 minutes, cook time 12-15 minutes, makes 6 servings
Ingredients for breading:
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 cup plain corn meal
Ingredients for Catfish:
6 catfish fillets
1 cup buttermilk
Summer Succotash (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven 450°F. Place catfish in a glass baking dish and pour buttermilk over fish, making sure all fillets are well coated. Let soak for 15 minutes at room temperature.
2. Place empty cookie sheet in oven to heat. Combine breading ingredients in a 9×13” glass baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Coat each fillet in bread crumb mixture and place on hot cookie sheet coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake in oven, on top rack, for 12-15 minutes until fish flakes easily with fork. Serve with lemon wedges and succotash, if desired.
Ingredients for succotash:
Prep time 10 minutes, cook time 6 minutes, makes 4-6 servings
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups fresh or frozen butter or lima beans
2 cups fresh corn, cut off the cob
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup fresh basil leaves
1. Bring stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add butter beans and simmer for about 4 minutes or until tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove beans and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add corn to stock and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until crisp tender. Drain corn and transfer to bowl.
2. Add tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil to bean mixture and season with salt to taste. Allow to sit at room temperature until ready to serve.
3. Just before serving, thinly slice basil and toss to combine.