Weight Loss Expert
Pointers for Dropping Excess Pounds
Dear Renee: I am overweight … I’m currently working with MyFitnessPal.com and have been consuming 1,680 calories a day to lose 99 pounds. I have also been walking and am doing cardio and strength training … any other pointers?
–Want to Lose Weight
Dear Want to Lose Weight: It’s great that you’re doing cardio and strength training. These will help you burn calories and build muscle. Depending on your height, weight, age and gender, 1,700 calories each day may be a little high. But, if you’re happy with your progress, then stick with it. Simply counting calories isn’t the key to successful dieting. It’s important to have well planned meals that meet your body’s needs and will keep you healthy. Here are a few tips to keep you on track:
• Have a colorful diet with lots of vegetables, fruit and whole grains.
• Divide your plate into quarters … fourth of a pound for protein/meat, fourth of a pound for starch and another fourth of a pound for vegetables.
• Eat smaller, more frequent meals to keep from getting hungry.
• Drink lots of fluids. Keeping yourself well hydrated can also help curb your appetite.
• Look at the habits that contributed to your weight gain. Are you a snacker? A stress eater? Find ways to get out of those old habits. Seek professional help from a counselor if you need to. Or consider a program that helps you learn new habits while changing old behaviors … like Sensei for Weight Loss. This will help you to keep the weight off for good.
Good luck on your journey!