5 Recipes From The Next Iron Chef
We’re so excited for the new show The Next Iron Chef to premiere Sunday night on the Food Network that we asked some of the contestants for their favorite recipes
– The Betty Editors
Hosted by Alton Brown (Good Eats, Iron Chef America), the reality competition The Next Iron Chef, premieres on Sunday, October 4th at 9pm ET/PT on the Food Network. Ten top chefs from around the country will be put through demanding situations, testing their culinary skills and mental toughness.
“It’s thrilling to see what these ten top chefs can create when pushed to their limits in this series,” said Bob Tuschman, Senior Vice President, Programming and Production for Food Network. “These world class chefs display extraordinary culinary skills and creativity as they battle it out for the supreme title of Iron Chef.”
The contestants will go from Los Angeles to Japan to New York to compete in the food fight of their professional lives. They will be challenged to create dishes that represent a variety of world cultures —working with exotic ingredients like jelly fish or creating their own version of international “fast food”.
The chefs must demonstrate their speed, artistry, innovation and leadership in each dish. With the help of the judges – Donatella Arpaia (acclaimed restaurateur -owner of Anthos, Mia Dona and Kefi), Jeffrey Steingarten (Food Critic for Vogue magazine) and Anya Fernald (Sustainable Food Consultant,) – the contestants will be narrowed down until two remain to battle it out in Kitchen Stadium and earn the right to be called Iron Chef.
The winner will join the ranks of Mario Batali, Cat Cora, Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto and Michael Symon and be launched into instant fame as a member of the Chairman’s team on Iron Chef America.
Here are five recipes that the contestants shared exclusively with BettyConfidential. With all five courses covered, these dishes equal one grand meal:
Salad: Beet Salad with Crushed Pistachios & Cheese
– Courtesy of Chef Amanda Freitag
Ingredients for Beet Vinaigrette:
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 small beet, peeled and cut large dice
3 shallots, sliced
2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Ingredients for Beet Salad:
2 cups beets, cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup pistachios, toasted & chopped
1 cup robiolina cheese or other semi-soft cheese
1 bunch watercress
1. For Beet Vinaigrette, bring vinegar, sugar, beet and shallots to a boil and simmer until the sugar melts (about 1 minute).
2. Remove from the heat and add olive oil, season with salt and cracked pepper.
3. For salad, toss beets with the vinaigrette along with salt and pepper to taste. Let sit while you prepare the plates.
4. Spread a circle of cheese onto the center of each plate with the back of a spoon. Add watercress and pistachios to the beets and place on top of the circle of cheese.
5. Once each salad is plated, finish by drizzling vinaigrette around the perimeter of the plate and sprinkle each salad with toasted pistachios.
Go to the next page for the first course: Couscous Paella…