Objects of Desire
Spark for Your Space
Six shamelessly silly office products to get you through the day
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky, little boxes, little boxes, little boxes all the same … The rest of this song is rather colorful, but if you spend your days working in a cubicle, your time is filled with a dull gray – brown if you are lucky – carpety substance, and a laminate work surface that is somehow always sticky. And they all look just the same.
That’s why it is particularly lucky that there is a plethora of products out there to spice up your cubicle life – think of them as the fake castle and little diver you add to your fish’s aquarium. Or the carefully crafted gerbil maze you add to the cage to make things just a little more exciting.
Here are just a few of the items on my “covet” list at the moment:
1. Conference Call Salvation – A stack-pack of acro-bots? Hand it over! If you ever wanted an alternative to doodling in the margins of your notebook during those loooooong, drawn out conference calls, here it is. $11.99, perpetualkid.com
2. Van Down by the River – This Cube is certainly not as robust as everyone’s favorite motivational speaker, Matt Foley, but he’s every bit as entertaining. Just be prepared for lots (and lots) of van down by the river jokes once your co-workers get a glimpse of this little dude. $3.99, prepetualkid.com
3. Notary, Notary, Rah, Rah, Rah! – Cheer on your favorite notary public with this felt pennant – after all, who doesn’t need a notary on their team? $4.95, mcphee.com
4. Lego My iPo(d) – My iPod is sometimes the only thing that gets me through the day (and successfully drowns out the office drone). Show off your playful side (while busting out your rocker side) with this set of Lego block iPod speakers. $25, fredflare.com
5. Danger Will Robinson – Danger, danger, your calculations are hopelessly incorrect! How awesome would it be to shoot this guy’s ray gun while calculating next year’s budget? Count me in. (har, har) $20, urbanoutfitters.com
6. Banagramarama – Goddess on the mountain top, burning like a silver flame, the summit of beauty and love, and Venus was her name. She’s got it – and baby you’ll have it, too, once you get your hands on this uber-cool desktop game. One hand takes as little as 5 minutes, making it the perfect “smoke” break. $15, uncommongoods.com
Whether you feel like a rat in a maze or a bear in a little gray cage, any one of these little gems (and the thousands of others out there) will make your day a whole lot more enjoyable – and may make your cubicle the office fave.