What’s for Dinner?
Spinach & Scallop Salad
-Courtesy of Michael Ballon, Chef of Castle Street Café
The combination of orange and seafood is outstanding. A healthful, beautiful and delicious dinner that’s simple to prepare.
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup olive oil
2 pounds sea scallops
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced:
2 Portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 pounds cleaned spinach, stems removed
1. To make the dressing, combine the juice and zest of 1 of the oranges, with the vinegar and mustard in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Reserve.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, sauté the scallops for about 2 minutes on each side, and then remove them from the pan. Reserve.
3. Add the onion, red pepper, and mushroom, and sauté for 1
4. Add the spinach to the skillet, and then add about 1/2 cup of the dressing directly into the pan.
5. Remove the pan from the stove, and continue to toss until the spinach is slightly wilted.
6. Place the vegetable mixture in the center of 4 plates, and arrange the scallops around the plate. Drizzle a little additional dressing on top.