What’s for Dinner?
Spice Up Your Chicken
Stir-fried chicken with basil and chiles
Here’s a great and easy way to transform your everyday chicken into a meal that will make you want to ditch your takeout menus.
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 4 garlic cloves, sliced
• 2 – 4 red chiles, seeded and chopped
• 1 pound chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
• 2 – 3 tablespoons fish sauce
• 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 10 – 12 Thai basil leaves
• 2 red chiles, sliced, to garnish
• 20 Thai basil leaves, deep-fried (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan and swirl it around.
2. Add the garlic and chiles and stir-fry until golden.
3. Add the chicken and stir-fry until it changes color.
4. Season with fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Continue to stir-fry for 3 – 4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked. Stir in the fresh Thai basil leaves. Garnish with the chiles and the fried basil, if using.
Cook’s Tip: To deep-fry Thai basil leaves, make sure that the leaves are completely dry. Deep-fry in hot oil for 30 – 40 seconds, lift out using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.