Betty on the News: John Travolta: They Threatened to Blame Me for My Son’s Death
The distressed star says medics hoped to pin Jett Travolta’s death on him
On Wednesday John Travolta testified for the second time in the case against paramedic Tarino Lightbourne and onetime Bahamian Sen. Pleasant Bridgewater, who are accused of trying to extort $25 million from the actor following the death of his 16-year-old son Jett.
During the trial the Old Dogs star claimed that the would-be extortionists threatened to slip stories to the media that would imply Travolta was somehow to blame for Jett’s passing.
In an earlier testimony Allyson Maynard-Gibson, one of John’s lawyers, said Bridgewater came to her mere days after Jett had died, claiming she had a legal client who possessed copies of ambulance dispatch reports and a paper signed by the actor releasing the ambulance company from legal liability.
The paramedic thought John would fork over the millions in order to save his reputation, as Bridgewater said her client believed the docs could potentially suggest Travolta acted carelessly by wanting to fly his unresponsive child to a Florida hospital, rather than going directly to a local hospital.
“I received a liability of release document. I signed it. I did not read it. Time was of the essence,” John testified last week.
Travolta claimed he and his wife decided to head to the local hospital at the last minute, where he was told that he son “wasn’t alive.”
Of the docs, John said “The stories would imply the death of my son was intentional and I was culpable somehow.”
Wednesday’s testimony is part of an ongoing investigation. (CNN.com)