Betty on the News: Sunbed Tanning Addict Who Didn’t Wear Goggles May Go Blind
Self-professed ‘tanorexic’ Sam Laing never realized that choosing not to wear goggles while tanning could lead to losing her eyesight.
-Margeaux Baulch Klein
10 years of using tanning beds without wearing protective goggles may leave a 23-year-old British woman permanently blind, the Daily Mail reports.
A self-professed ‘tanorexic,’ Sam Laing said she never bothered to use goggles in the tanning beds because she was concerned about them leaving white marks around her eyes. Sadly, however, that decision caused her eyes to endure unnecessary, prolonged exposure to ultraviolet light, resulting in the development of growths in her eyes that will have to be removed by surgery that may damage her eyes anyway.
“It was such a devastating diagnosis,” said Laing. “I was shocked because although I knew using sunbeds raised the risk of contracting skin cancer, I never knew it could cause something like this.”
Laing was officially diagnosed with pterygium, a benign eye growth caused by ultraviolet light that is most commonly seen in men living near the Equator.
“I just hope that what’s happened to me serves as a warning to other sunbed users that they can be really dangerous,” she added. (Daily Mail)