Michelle Obama Special Edition: Top 5 Picks from Around the Web
1. J. Crew hearts Michelle Obama! The first lady sported yet another outfit from the affordably chic clothing line in London, prompting a shopping craze that gave J. Crew’s spring sales a serious boost. Mrs. Style Icon’s “crystal constellation” cardigan ($298) sold out by 10:00 a.m. the very same morning Michelle appeared in it, and her “dazzling dots” skirt ($158) is MIA now as well. (New York Daily News)
2. Alec Baldwin is wishing and hoping that Michelle Obama will join Liz Lemon and the rest of the gang on NBC’s 30 Rock. The hit show has seen a slew of celebrity guests — Jennifer Aniston, Matthew Broderick, Salma Hayek, Steve Martin — but only once before have they featured a political figure (Al Gore). Baldwin has officially issued Michelle O an invitation to appear on the show. Think the first lady could pull it off? More to the point, would she WANT to? (EW.com)
3. Better than Botox? Michelle Obama appears to have taken a cue from Jackie Kennedy by adding side-swiped bangs to her ‘do. The fresh look was revealed on Wednesday while she was in Germany chatting with French First Lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy before the NATO summit. We likes! (TheStar.com)
4. While the majority of us are LOVING Michelle Obama‘s chic and sensible garments, fashion designer Oscar de la Renta is getting a wee cranky.
“American fashion right now is struggling,” he stated. “I think I understand what [Obama and her advisers] are doing, but I don’t think that is the right message at this particular point….I don’t object to the fact that Mrs. Obama is wearing J. Crew to whatever because the diversity of America is what makes this country great. But there are a lot of great designers out there. I think it’s wrong to go in one direction only.”
In other words - if you’re going to pimp out American designers, we want some of the action! What do you think – does the couture King have a point? (Huffington Post)
5. Barack still has a few more stops to make on his European tour, but Michelle has opted to head home earlier than expected. The first lady boarded a flight back to Washington Sunday evening in order to oversee Sasha and Malia’s school week. White House reps say Michelle felt she had been away from her daughters for far too long, and was eager to resume their everyday routine. We bet she’s just tired of everyone obsessing about her clothes! (Washington Post)