Sarah Scaparone, an Italian food writer, sent us one of her recent favorite pasta finds.
-Sarah Scaparone; Recipe adapted from Turin’s famed Dolce Stil Novo Restaurant
Eating at Alfredo Russo’s restaurant Dolce Stil Novo is a must for anyone visiting the Turin area in Piedmont. Not only is the spot one of the most beautiful areas of the region, but you’ll be treated to food that is both classically simple and at the same time impressively creative.
This lasagna is a perfect example. It takes a common dish and turns it into a gourmet treat. One bite is like dreaming with your eyes open!
Makes 6 Servings
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound fresh lasagna
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely ground pistachios
1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, and simmer and whisk over medium heat until the sauce is thick, smooth and creamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the Parmesan. Set aside and allow to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Meanwhile, cook the lasagna in boiling salted water, until done, but still al dente. Drain and spread one layer the lasagna onto an oiled baking pan and top with some of the cream sauce. Repeat, layering. Reserve a little of the cream sauce to top the lasagna when serving.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes, until warm throughout. Meanwhile, in a non-stick frying pan combine the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese with the ground pistachios. Cook, over medium heat, until golden, about 8 minutes.
6. To serve, slice and top with reserved cream sauce and sprinkle of pistachio-parmesan mixture.
Photo credit: Alessandra Tinozzi