Curl Crazy: Beauty Tips for Gorgeous Hair
Tips for beautiful curls and perfect summer waves
-Lois Joy Johnson
Looking for some great beauty tips on how to achieve beautiful, frizz-free summer hair? Allow me to introduce you to a my pal, the super-talented stylist Anthony Dickey. He’s known as “Dickey” at the Louis Licari Salon in NYC where he became famous for transforming the frizz-prone hair of frustrated beauty editors into glossy, straight manes and bobs. My friend Felicia Milewicz the gorgeous, curly redhead beauty director of Glamour magazine simply showed up at an event one day with hair that looked like polished satin and said “Dickey” before I got past the “who did …?”
Read his paperback Hair Rules!: The Ultimate Hair-Care Guide for Women with Kinky, Curly, or Wavy Hair ($10.88 amazon.com) It’s the one beauty book every woman who loves or hates her curly hair needs. I like the uncontrived look of longish hair with soft curls or crimpy waves that don’t look overworked – the kind of ripples we see a lot on Sarah Jessica Parker, Becki Newton, Blake Lively and Nicole Richie.
Here’s how to get gorgeous hair without going curl crazy!
1. Use a product to smooth the cuticle and keep curls or waves from freaking out into frizz.
• If you have fine hair:
Spritz damp hair with a light styling spray like Living Proof Wave Shaping Curl Defining No Frizz Styling Spray for fine to medium hair ($24, sephora.com)
• If your hair is thick, coarse or wiry choose a gel like John Frieda Frizz Ease Spiral Style Curl-Defining Gel ($5.99, drugstore.com)
Comb whichever styling product you select all the way through, make a center part and then blow dry hair roughly (with head flipped over or tilted, but do not use a brush or crunch) ‘till hair is 90 percent dry. Then:
2. For soft, loose casual waves:
• Twist each side into a rope and coil it in a bun secured with bobbie pins. Blast the buns with your blow dryer for 5 min or until the hair is totally dry. Allow them to “set” for 15 minutes as they cool down. Then unroll and gently run your fingers through but don’t brush!
3. For more of a textured, beachy, hippie chick look:
• Spray hair with a salt-water mist like Fekkai Marine Summer Hair Beach Waves ($23, sephora.com) or Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray ($22, bumbleandbumble.com) instead of the other styling options. If your hair is naturally curly comb the product through roots to tips enough to detangle and don’t touch it again until dry. Then you can use your fingers like a rake to gently pump up the volume. Your own natural curl and the salt water will be enough to activate the look.
• If you want more of a uniform crimped texture, braid the hair after applying the salt-spray. The more braids, the more texture you will have. When dry undo the braids and the look will be a heat-safe version of what a crimping iron would do.
Loose, gorgeous curls and waves are the perfect summer hair – and now you have all the beauty tips you need not to go curl crazy!