What’s for Dinner
Beer Can Chicken
It may sound weird, but sticking a beer can up the butt of a chicken really makes for a tender bird. Plus, come on, how can you resist trying such an odd recipe?
1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of cayenne
4 tablespoons butter, softened
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 (12-ounce) can of beer
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Mix dry ingredients in small bowl with the butter.
3. Rub 1/2 of the ingredients on inside cavity of chicken. Gently peel skin away from chicken breast and rub mixture under the skin and onto the legs and back.
4. Open beer can pour out about 1/2 cup. Drop the garlic cloves into the beer can. Place chicken, cavity end down, over the beer can and insert the beer into the cavity. Place chicken, standing up, in large bake pan.
5. Bake chicken in the oven for 10 minutes and then lower temperature to 325 degrees F and cook for another 1 hour, or until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
6. Carefully remove the beer can as it will be extremely hot!! Pour the pan juices into a gravy separator to remove the fat.
7. Carve chicken and serve with pan juices.