Betty’s New Year Countdown
Best and Worst Beauty Trends of 2008
From crops and bobs to black lipgloss: Love it or leave it?
- Lois Joy Johnson
Déjà vu sums it up. We just can’t stop looking back. No matter how tech-y and globally connected and economically strapped our lives get, the past is present 24/7 as the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s just won’t let go of their grip on beauty and fashion. Mad Men, Sixties hippies, Punk rockers and retro movie stars continued to influence how we looked and what we wore this year, so we can’t say there wasn’t enough to choose from. What tempted or snagged you? Did you love it or leave
BEST Beauty Trends of 2008 (LOVE IT!)
• Real Lipstick returned with bold PINK – not red – as hottie hue! See Jessica Biel, Lucy Liu, Drew Barrymore.
• Winged Eyeliner gently riffs on the Amy Winehouse look.
See Keira Knightley, Nicole Ritchie, Madonna.
• Crops and bobs take off led by Katie Holmes, Olga Kurylenko,
(Quantum of Solace babe) Anne Hathaway, Reese Witherspoon.
• Higher, longer-lasting sunscreens with SPF 80 and 85 make us feel safer.
• Fast blend brush-attached foundations (Revlon even did their version of one by YSL).
• Day-Glo Nail Polish – hope it returns next summer.
• Gossip Girl headbands for growing out bangs.
• High Ponytails – bad-hair-day banisher.
See Beyoncé as Sasha Fierce for inspiration.
• Vibrating Mascara – less effort is not possible.
Estee Lauder Turbolash, Lancôme Oscillation.
• Bold brows – the bigger the better.
WORST Beauty Trends of 2008 (Leave it! Whose idea was this?)
• Crimped Hair Madonna, Lindsay puh-leeeeeze
• LED at- home derm-alike devices for acne/wrinkles – Are you kidding?
• Black lipgloss – I don’t care if it looked cool on the runway
• Boho braids wrapped like Gretel or plaited a la Heidi.
• Headband over bangs – couture commune is not chic even on Carrie Underwood and Miley Cyrus
• Blue eyeshadow – no way, no how
• False Lashes – hello thickening mascara
• Matte Makeup- is there anything harder to wear
• Lunchtime Lipo – don’t get sucked in (or let your wallet either)
What did you love this year? And what are you happy to leave behind?