Celeb Gossip: Top Picks
Rihanna’s revealing new look, Real Housewives star to wed, My Big Fat Greek Wedding star slams Hollywood’s double standards and more
1. In a look that was reminiscent of Janet Jackson’s Super Bowl scandal, Rihanna partied at Tao nightclub in Las Vegas over the weekend wearing a gaping tuxedo jacket and star-shaped sequined pasties covering her nipples. While Janet’s wardrobe malfunction caused an FCC meltdown in 2004, Rihanna’s provocative style could well be part of a revealing new trend- Lady GaGa, Dita Von Teese and Britney Spears have all been spotted with nipple coverings recently. But seriously, folks, would you wear this outfit? (Daily Mail)
2. Bethenny Frankel is about to become a real-life housewife! The star of the Real Housewives of New York City is sporting a diamond ring and her rep confirmed to Us magazine today that an engagement to Jason Hoppy is in the chef’s future.
“I can confirm Bethenny and Jason are in love and plan on getting married,” her rep said. “So I guess this is the starter ring.”
Jason, who works in real estate, and Bethenny, 38, first met at New York hotspot Tenjune and a friend of the couple says a proposal is on the way. “He’s hunting for the ring, but in the meantime this is a place holder.”
Bethenny has had trouble finding love on the Bravo show, but she thinks Hoppy is the one. “I’m pretty much certain I’m going to spend the rest of my life with him, she told Us. I’m really happy.” (Us magazine)
3. When Nia Vardalos calls Russell Crowe fat, she doesn’t mean that in a derogatory way. “I don’t see a problem with the word fat, quite frankly. I think we give it a power it shouldn’t really have as a negative word,” the newly slimmed-down star says.
While the My Life in Ruins actress admits she had to lose weight for health reasons, she says she is tired of Hollywood’s skewed point of view when it comes to weight. She says male stars like Russell Crowe get away with looking a little chunky “because we allow it. What exists right now, this double standard, is perpetuated as much by women as it is by men.”
“Let’s just get over it and just say we are more than are bodies,” Nia adds. “Yeah, Russell Crowe’s fat. Let’s just talk about it for once instead of saying, ‘Oh, that man is so good-looking as he ages’ while disparaging women for-god forbid-not having Botox.” (Sydney Daily Telegraph)
4. Move over, Hugh Jackman, you’re not the only triple threat in town. How I Met Your Mother star Neil Patrick Harris is set to host the Emmys on September 20. Following in the Wolverine star’s footsteps, Neil was a hit when he hosted the Tonys last month and wowed Broadway stalwarts with his closing musical number. This year he also hosted the TV Land Awards and Writers Guild Awards. Next stop the Oscars? (Entertainment Weekly)
5. Josh Duhamel has opened up to Women’s Health magazine about his marriage to Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie. The Transformers star reveals that he didn’t want to repeat the mistakes of his divorced parents, so he waited to propose until he was 36. “I’m really proud of that,” Josh says. “Sometimes guys get caught up in who they think is the right girl and what friends and family push on them, but for me, it was a natural step. I got the best girl in the world.” Awww. Josh says the key to a good marriage is “taking the time to learn each other’s behaviors,” and keeping things hot in the bedroom. He and Fergie were given a stripper pole as a wedding gift, but Josh confesses, “I’ve played on the pole more than she has. If you know my wife, she’s a perfectionist and won’t get on it until she’s good, so she wants to take a class first. So the pole is really just decorative at this point. As for keeping things spicy, I have to quote Kevin Bacon: “keep the fights clean and the sex dirty!” This one’s a keeper, Fergie! (Women’s Health)