Celebrate with this traditional Italian dessert
-Courtesy of Academia Barilla
This cake is a traditional Easter dessert in Italy. It’s named after the dove, both for its religious symbolism and association with Spring.
1 package yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 ounces raisins
2 ounces diced candied fruit
Confectioners’ or crystallized decorative sugar
1. Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup warm water and slowly work in half of the flour; allow the dough to rise in a warm place in a floured bowl.
2. When the dough has doubled in size, place it in a larger bowl and add the remaining flour, 3 of the eggs, melted butter, sugar and salt.
3. Work the dough gently until it stops sticking to the sides of the bowl, cover with a cloth and allow to rise for another hour.
4. Sprinkle flour on the raisins and the candied fruit then shake excess flour away in a sieve.
5. Add the raisins and candied fruit to the dough, place in a dove-shaped pan, and brush with the remaining beaten egg. Decorate with almonds and sugar crystals. Cook at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until done.