Julie Bowen’s Textured Chignon:
For Modern Family’s Julie Bowen, celebrity stylist Jill Crosby created a textured chignon that embodies Julie’s natural yet modern style. Julie’s one-shouldered gown (which, okay, we weren’t wild bout, but the color is terrific!) balanced this desconstructed hairstyle.
Here’s how Jill created the look:
1. To start things off, Jill worked a quarter-sized amount of Wella Professionals Enrich Straight leave-in cream ($17.50, amazon.com) through Julie’s wet hair, focusing on the ends to infuse moisture throughout the actress’ locks.
2. Next, she primed Julie’s mane by raking three pumps of Wella Professionals Velvet Amplifier style primer ($18, amazon.com ) before blow drying it with a large round brush. While blow drying, Jill focused on lifting at the roots to add volume.
3. Once Julie’s hair was dry, Jill sprayed Wella Professionals Thermal Image heat protection spray ($14.51, amazon.com) throughout along with a touch of Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz beach texture spray ($18.55, amazon.com) at the roots for added lift and a matte finish (this helps achieve the style’s deconstructed look).
4. Using a flatiron, Jill straightened pieces of the hair at Julie’s fringe and underneath the length of her hair near the nape of her neck. Then she backcombed the interior of the actress’ hair for added volume; Julie’s fringe was side-swept and secured in front.
5. Julie’s hair was then separated into two sections and pulled toward the middle of the back of her head. It was twisted into a knotted chignon, then secured in place with pins hidden underneath the knot.
6. Last step: Jill sprayed a touch of Wella Professionals Stay Essential finishing spray ($9.30, amazon.com) through to set the style. Voila!