Entertaining with Ease
Host a Frugal, Fashionable Girl’s Night In
Shop, Swap and Make it Sweet
Don’t let the recession stop you from sprucing up your wardrobe. There’s a simple way to get new frocks without spending a cent – host a swap party. Here are a few easy steps to get you started.
Shop your Closet! Now is the perfect time to take inventory of your wardrobe. Chances are you will find several long-forgotten garments hiding in the deep and dark recesses of your closet. Divide your garments into two piles: keepers and traders. Ask your girlfriends to do the same and schedule a soiree at your place. Ask everyone to bring their gently used or never worn trader garments.
Swap ‘Til You Drop! Let the games begin! You can use the kitchen and coffee tables to display everyone’s garments, shoes and accessories. Remember, one girl’s trade is another girl’s treasure. For example, I was able to swap a never-worn Dolce & Gabbana blouse (a present that was the wrong size) for a very pretty Carmen Marc Valvo dress. Those barely worn sexy 4-inch heels that always made my feet hurt were perfect for another lady; and I was more than happy to swap achy feet for a one-of-a-kind vintage handbag. Garments that don’t make the swap can be donated to charity.
Make It Sweet! Sometimes it can be hard to part with a piece of clothing. To sweeten the swap, serve dessert. Keep your preparations stress-free by dressing up store bought sweets like chocolate candies, cake and ice-cream. An inexpensive sparkling wine, such as Italian Prosecco, is the perfect drink to toast your guilt-free shopping and swapping spree!
Here is a suggested dress-up for cake and ice cream that requires minimal preparation so that you have more time to enjoy your guests.
For the Love of Coco Chocolate Cake with Warm Coconut Sauce
Inspired by Coco Chanel
• Purchase an already prepared devil’s food cake and slice into individual servings
• Combine flaked coconut with condensed milk, and vanilla extract in small saucepan over low heat.
• Stir until sauce is almost at a boil and then remove from heat
• Drizzle sauce over each portion of cake
• Garnish plate with ripe red strawberries or raspberries
Fit that Bikini Sundae Martini with Fresh Mango
A guilt-free sundae with a tropical flair
• Sauté sliced ripe mangos in light butter and brown sugar
• Serve over frozen vanilla yogurt in a martini glass
• Garnish each serving with a sprig of mint