Italian Pot Roast
If you love the flavor of mushrooms, this pot roast is for you.
-Recipe brought to you by Velveeta Shells and Cheese and Relish Magazine (relishmag.com)
Velveeta Shells and Cheese is a very versatile, smooth and creamy side dish that goes well with everything, including this pot roast recipe. Pancetta is “Italian bacon” and can be found in the deli section of the supermarket. Make this tonight with a side of Velveeta Shells and Cheese for a delicious dinner.
Makes 8 Servings
3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1 (3-pound) chuck roast
1 tablespoon chopped pancetta or ham
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups dry red wine
1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
1. Heat 1 cup beef broth. Add mushrooms and soak until softened.
2. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook until brown on all sides. Transfer meat to a plate. Add pancetta, onion, carrot and celery to pan. Cook, stirring, until golden.
3. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add bay leaf, sage, parsley, tomato paste and wine. Simmer until reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
4. Add meat, tomatoes, porcini mushrooms, mushroom liquid and 2 cups beef broth. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until meat is tender. Turn meat over halfway through cooking time.
5. Transfer meat to a cutting board. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with vegetables and juice.
Per serving: 500 calories, 19g fat, 135mg chol., 53g prot., 10g carbs., 2g fiber, 390mg sodium
This delicious recipe is brought to you by Velveeta and Relish magazine.
For more recipes, visit our Recipe File.
By Tracey Ceurvels