J. Crew President Jenna Lyons’ Personal Life and Why People Are Obsessed With It
Between her divorce and her new mystery woman, J. Crew president Jenna Lyons has been making waves lately. Why is the public so obssessed with her personal life?
-Piper Weiss, Yahoo! Shine
J.Crew’s president, Jenna Lyons, has become something of a star. So when the New York Post reported she was embroiled in a nasty divorce, she ‘s been getting almost as much attention for it as Ashton and Demi. According to the newspaper’s Page Six item, Lyons and her husband, artist Vincent Mazeau, are engaged in a bitter custody battle over their 5-year-old son Beckett, amid allegations that she’s moved on with another partner, a mystery woman in the fashion industry.
J. Crew refused to comment and Lyons herself has yet to confirm the rumors. One thing that doesn’t need confirmation: Jenna isn’t your average corporate honcho. Her fan-base is feverish (she’s been hailed by bloggers as a perennial “girl crush”) especially for a $4-million-a-year, 42-year-old executive. It’s not unlike the cult of Steve Jobs, where the combo of trademark quirks and design innovation becomes the recipe for a legion of loyal, obsessed followers.
It also helps to have an unconventional, unpredictable private life, that sometimes leaks to the public—for better or worse.
Here’s some fast fascinating facts about the private life of woman behind J.Crew:
1. She’s 6 foot 5. By the age of 12 she’d already hit the 6 foot marker. As a California teenager, she’s said her height always used to “make me feel like such an outcast.” Now that she’s in fashion, she embraces her height—sometimes even adding an extra few with stilettos.
2. She’s obsessed with New York. One of her wedding vows included never ever leaving the city.
3. Her Brooklyn apartment is customized for her tall frame: the sink is five inches higher than the standard, her bathtub is 7 feet long, and even the toilets are elevated.
4. She found herself in the middle of what Jon Stewart called “Toemaggedon” after her husband photographed her painting her son’s toes for a J.Crew promotional email.
5. Her clothing has its own room. Forget a walk-in closet, Lyons designated an entire separate room for her wardrobe. Aside from a small lounge chair, there room is occupied by racks and racks of dresses.
6. Her 5-year-old son, Beckett, dictates her outfit every day. “We’ve developed a tradition where he picks out the shoes,” she said in an interview. “But I have to rotate them, otherwise he’d pick out the same high heel sparkly shoes every time because he loves them. So I rotate them, he picks out the shoes and then I work from there.”
7. Aside from being mom’s stylist, Beckett, also is the subject of a blog his mom created to track is daily life.
8. All her teeth are fake. Because of a rare genetic disease called Incontinentia Pigmenti, her teeth are abnormally shaped and require dentures. The disorder has also left her body scarred and her hair patched with bald spots.
9. Her early dating experiences were particularly scarring. “I had a boyfriend who asked me, ‘Why can’t you look like all the other girls?’” Lyons recounted in a Vogue interview. As an adult, she’s grown into her unique traits, and with her trademark orange lips and black-rimmed glasses, she’s something of a style icon at 42. But it doesn’t sound like her relationships have gotten any easier.
This article originally appeared on Yahoo! Shine.
More from Yahoo! Shine: