James Franco Used to Work Where?
5 little-known Oscar facts and a chance to win $10K this Sunday!
Do you wait with bated breath each year for the best darn awards show that Hollywood has to offer? So do we! To get you in the mood for Oscar night, check out these five fun facts about the Academy Awards, courtesy of PEOPLE.com’s Red Carpet Trivia LIVE…
1. Black Swan Best Actress nominee Natalie Portman did uncredited work on which one of this year’s other Oscar films? It’s The Social Network, whose nominated screenwriter, Aaron Sorkin, got the dish on student life at Harvard from recent grad Portman.
2. The Oscars may be the only major awards ceremony held in a shopping mall. The Kodak Theatre is nestled in the back of the Hollywood & Highland Center, just past an Aveda store and Auntie Anne’s Pretzels.
3. When he was a struggling actor, Oscar co-host and Best Actor nominee James Franco made ends meet by working at a Los Angeles McDonald’s. He put his time to good use, practicing his accents on female customers who came to the drive-through window.
4. One of those seven scary sisters in Best Picture nominee The Fighter is played by a Boston local with a famous brother. She’s Kate O’Brien, sister of Conan. The Fighter was the first acting role for the special-education teacher. Not that O’Brien found it hard to play a member of a big Irish-Catholic family, since she has five siblings herself.
5. The most expensive piece of jewelry ever worn to the Oscars: a “Heart of the Ocean”-like, 15-carat blue diamond necklace from Harry Winston, worn in 1998 by Titanic Best Supporting Actress nominee Gloria Stuart and valued at $20 million.
Is your Oscar trivia appetite whetted? PEOPLE.com’s Red Carpet Trivia LIVE game, sponsored by Sprint, is taking place this Sunday at 8e/5p during the broadcast. Experts will be on hand with real-time trivia questions and pop-up facts that coincide with what’s happening on your TV. As if that wasn’t cool enough, in between rounds of questions Oscar fans will have a chance to win $10,000!
Carolyn French is an assistant editor at BettyConfidential.