Pork Loin with Pears and Shallots
This dish has a mixture of different tastes thanks to the pears. Dig in!
-Recipe brought to you by Velveeta Shells and Cheese and Relish Magazine (relishmag.com)
Velveeta Shells and Cheese is a very versatile, smooth and creamy side dish that goes well with everything, including this pork loin recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen, a food writer in Maple City, Mich. Make this tonight with a side of Velveeta Shells and Cheese for a delicious dinner.
Makes 8 Servings
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 (4-pound) pork loin
12 ounces shallots, peeled and halved or quartered (about 2 cups)
3 medium unpeeled pears, cut into wedges
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3 garlic cloves, sliced
Fresh thyme sprigs
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 to 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
Coarsely ground black pepper
1. In a large zip-top plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons oil, soy sauce and lemon juice. Add pork and coat evenly. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 450F.
3. In a roasting pan, toss shallots and pears with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Remove meat from marinade and drain, reserving marinade. Make slits in top of pork; insert sliced garlic and thyme sprigs. Place pork in roasting pan in center of pear mixture. Roast 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325F and cook until meat reaches 145 to 150F, about 40 minutes.
4. While meat roasts, melt butter and whisk in flour. Cook over medium heat until golden brown. Pour in broth and reserved marinade; whisk to break up lumps. Cook until thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in thyme. Remove from heat.
5. Remove pork from oven. Let meat stand 5 minutes before slicing. (If shallots are not well caramelized, remove pork and set in warm place, covered with foil. Increase oven temperature to 400F, place shallots and pears back in oven, and cook until caramelized, 10 to 15 minutes more.)
6. Reheat gravy over low heat. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Slice pork and serve with gravy. Serves 8
Per serving: 470 calories, 17g fat, 155mg chol., 54g prot., 24g carbs., 3g fiber, 700mg sodium
This delicious recipe is brought to you by Velveeta and Relish magazine.
For more recipes, visit our Recipe File.