What’s for Dinner
Red-Eye Chicken Thighs
Stuffed with ham and cheese
-Recipe courtesy of Courtesy Chefs Choice, www.chefschoice.com
This recipe is called “Red-Eye” because it’s made with good, strong coffee, which will perk up your tired, red eyes and delight your taste buds. The coffee really brings out the meaty lushness of the chicken.
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Salt and pepper, to taste
7 ounces herbed Brie cheese, diced
4 ounces ham, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup brewed double-strength black coffee
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
l tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1-1/2 tablespoons flour
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
1. Season the inside of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
2. Fill the thighs evenly with the Brie and ham, fold the meat over the filling, and secure with toothpicks.
3. Heat a dry nonstick ovenproof sauté pan or cast-iron skillet and add the chicken.
4. Sear on all sides over medium-high heat until browned, 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
5. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cooked through.
6. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and shallot, and sauté over medium heat.
7. Add the wine, coffee, honey, oregano, parsley, and lime zest and juice, and bring to a boil.
8. Reduce the liquid by one third, about 8 minutes.
9. In a cup, mix together the flour and 1-1/2 tablespoons water until smooth and stir into the reduced mixture until the gravy thickens.
10. Return to a simmer and adjust the seasonings.
11. Cut each chicken thigh on the bias into 3 slices.
12. Spoon the sauce over and around the chicken.
Copyright 2009 Edgecraft Corporation