Betty on The News
Betty on The News: Top Stories
Obama still smokes, South Carolina Governor admits to affair, Burger King’s sexist ad, and more
-The Betty Editors
1. After a week of bloggers and news reporters alike questioning the whereabouts of one Mr. Mark Sanford, the South Carolina Governor finally came clean and admitted to being involved in a long-term affair with a woman from Argentina – which is where he had been kicking it for the past several days. Yep, that little tale of him hiking along the Appalachian Trail turned out to be Grade-A bologna.
At a press conference today Sanford stated that he and the woman in question were “dear” friends for eight years until the relationship blossomed into something more, just over a year ago. Since then he has seen her three times, and his wife has be in the know for roughly five months. “I’ve let down a lot of people, that’s the bottom line,” the S.C. bigwig was quick to add after saying that he plans to resign as chairman of the Republican Governors Association. Gee, thanks for clearing that up! We have so much more sympathy now. (Huffington Post)
2. If you needed one more reason to keep away from this greasy junk food supplier, we’ve got you covered. Burger King’s family-friendly reputation is about to take a major nosedive thanks to their new ad for the Super Seven Incher sandwich. A blonde woman, who looks a cross between a Barbie and a blow-up doll, stares in awe at the beefy burger as it creeps towards her gaping lipstick-adorned mouth just above a slogan that reads “it’ll blow your mind away.” Sure sex sells, but is $6.25 really worth alienating your loyal customers? (Newser.com)
3. Obama still lights up … On the day after he signed anti-tobacco legislation into law, President Obama admitted to a reporter that he still smokes on occasion.
“You just think it’s neat to ask me about my smoking,” he shot back when questioned. “Have I fallen off the wagon sometimes? Yes. But does the president smoke on a daily basis? No. I don’t do it in front of my kids. I don’t do it in front of my family.”
Defensive much? (Los Angeles Times)
4. Could there be a genetic link between anorexia and autism? A new study says yes. Researchers say the two disorders have more in common than they appear to on the surface such as “a narrow focus of attention, a resistance to change and excellent attention to detail.” A previous study also found that 15-20 percent of anorexics also suffer from Asperger’s syndrome, which is on the Autism spectrum. So perhaps we were too quick to blame the fashion industry? (Time)
5. As Casey Anthony remains in jail awaiting trail for the murder of her daughter, Caylee Anthony, new evidence is emerging. Not only is she facing murder charges, there will also be another trial for the stolen checks she allegedly cashed to pay for beer and sunglasses. Most recently, prosecutors are seeking permission to go to the jail and take photos of a tattoo Casey reportedly got two weeks after the death of her daughter. They believe the words she had inscribed could be important to the case. The phrase on her back: “La Vita Bella,” which is Italian for “The Beautiful Life.” More grossly untrue words would be hard to find. (CBS)
6. Sex and the City queen Sarah Jessica Parker and her doting hubby Matthew Broderick discovered that their surrogate mother, the controversial Michelle Ross who raised eyebrows in May with her quirky appearance and ambiguous sexuality, gave birth to their twin girls today. An East Ohio Regional Hospital rep was unable to comment, but did offer up the comforting tidbit that “everything’s good.” And the girls’ names thankfully buck the weirdo-name trend among celebs and are nice and normal – Marion Loretta Elwell Broderick and Tabitha Hodge Broderick We’re so thrilled to hear that the stylish couple’s dream of adding to their brood has become a concrete reality. Congrats to both! (People)
7. We knew there had to be a logical explanation behind this one! Last week we reported that a Belgian teen had “fallen asleep” while getting 56 stars tattooed on her face, which caused quite a stir amongst the Bettys because, seriously, WHO could pass out during such a painful procedure? Well for those of you that suggested that Kimberley Vlaeminck played the innocent card once her parents took notice, pat yourselves on the back! During an interview with a Dutch television station on Monday the 18-year-old hung her head in shame and fessed up.
“I asked for 56 stars and initially adored them,” she divulged. “But when my father saw them, he was furious. So I said I fell asleep and that the tattooist had made a mistake.”
What a brat! Hasn’t she ever heard the saying, don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time? (Nypress.com)
8. A light went out in the world today, as Tonight Show sidekick and comedic everyman Ed McMahon died just after midnight at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center at the age of 86. The “H-e-e-e-e-e-ere’s Johnny!” announcer was surrounded by his loving wife Pam, as well as other family members when he passed. A friend of McMahon’s, who prefers to remain anonymous, revealed that the television personality had bone cancer among other ailments.
“You can’t imagine hooking up with a guy like Carson,” McMahon said of his talk-show host boss in 1993. “There’s the old phrase, hook your wagon to a star. I hitched my wagon to a great star.”
Somehow we feel that good buddy Johnny would consider himself the blessed one. (msnbc.com)