Betty on the News
Betty on The News: Top Stories
-The Betty Editors
1. Can we move on now?! Hopefully David Letterman’s SECOND apology to Sarah, Bristol and Willow Palin and “everybody else who was outraged” by his recent joke about A-Rod impregnating one of Palin’s daughters (he says he meant Bristol, who’s of age, she says he was talking statutory rape of Willow, a minor) will end the two-week long feud.
“I told a joke that was beyond flawed, and my intent is completely meaningless compared to the perception,” Letterman said. “I’m sorry about it and I’ll try to do better in the future.”
Outraged Palin supporters still don’t think it’s enough. “I think it’s a good first step in the right direction, but I don’t think it’s enough,” said John Ziegler, creator of firedavidletterman.com.
Please, enough really is enough. (Los Angeles Times)
2. The term “fat chance” comes to mind upon hearing of British Airways‘ outlandish scheme to cut corners. The corporation has “asked” its 40,000-strong staff to work for free … for up to a MONTH. Chief executive Willie Walsh first offered employees a choice between reduction in hours and unpaid leave, which swiftly turned into requesting that they volunteer by June 24 for between “one and four weeks of unpaid work.” In all, BA is believed to be seeking roughly 4,000 job cuts, including 2,000 voluntary lay-offs amongst 14,000 cabin crew members. So … what’s to become of those BA workers who have grown accustomed to eating? (Times Online)
3. Susan Boyle is back and better than ever. After cancelling her performance in Manchester over the weekend to “rest”, Susan Boyle rejoined the Britain’s Got Talent tour and wowed the audience in her hometown of Glasgow last night with her signature song, I Dreamed a Dream. Donning a floor-length, glittering gown, she had the crowd on their feet – both in spontaneous expressions of enthusiasm during her performance and in a standing ovation when she concluded. That rest did her well. Welcome back, Susan! (Sky News)
4. Heather Armstrong, the notorious blogger known as Dooce, gave birth to her second daughter this weekend. And at last she has announced the name – Marlo Iris Armstrong. The middle name comes from husband Jon’s aunt, and the first name “Well, it just kicks a lot of ass,” she states on her blog. The baby girl weighed in at 7lbs 15 oz., 21 inches, and was born on her due date. Welcome Marlo, we know we’ll be reading all about you … whether you like it or not.
5. As details unravel, anger mounts in Mexico over the deaths of 46 children killed in a government-run daycare fire. Parents are outraged that safety regulations weren’t enforced, and that since the June 5 fire, the government hasn’t conducted a thorough investigation or issued any punishments. “If there is no justice from the authorities, there will be vengeance from the people,” one parent shouted to a cheering crowd of protestors gathered outside the office of Gov. Eduardo Bours Castelo. The heartache of these parents is unimaginable, and their outrage understandable. Hopefully the public outcry will increase scrutiny and thereby safety of other daycare centers in the country so the innocent lives lost aren’t entirely in vain.
6. Amanda Knox - who spent last Friday attempting to prove her innocence in the murder of Meredith Kercher - appears to have rekindled her romance with Raffaele Sollecito (her alleged partner in crime). According to the Daily Telegraph Knox has been penning love letters and poems to Sollecito, expressing thanks for his openness. They aren’t all sappy adoration notes however, as one is merely a series of complaints about roughing it in jail.
“Are you alone in your cell?” Knox asked. “I’m living with a drug addict, a thief, and an accomplice to murder.”
Hmm … think she’s referring to herself in the third person with that last one? (Newser.com)