In the News
Betty On the News: Top Stories
Killer Scott Peterson’s family asks the public for money, Debbie Rowe suing over e-mails, dogs to dye for and more
-Kathy Campbell and Carolyn French
1. The family of convicted killer Scott Peterson is asking the public to contribute money to his appeal. Scott, who was convicted in 2003 of killing his wife, Laci, and their unborn child, is on death row at San Quentin Prison in California.
He denies killing his wife, and while the state already funds mandatory appeals for condemned inmates, the family said in a blog posting that it needs $95,00 to help cover the cost of an investigation needed to overturn Scott’s conviction. (Fox News)
2. In a stirring speech to the NAACP last night, President Obama reminded African-Americans that despite the challenges they continue to face there should be no excuses for not making a better future for themselves.
At the gathering honoring the organization’s 100th convention, the nation’s first black president said: “We’ve got to say to our children, Yes, if you’re African American, the odds of growing up amid crime and gangs are higher. Yes, if you live in a poor neighborhood, you will face challenges that someone in a wealthy suburb does not have to face. That’s not a reason to get bad grades, that’s not a reason to cut class, that’s not a reason to give up on your education and drop out of school.”
“No one has written your destiny for you,” he continued. “Your destiny is in your hands – and don’t you forget that. No excuses. No excuses. You get that education. All those hardships will just make you stronger, better able to compete. Yes, we can.” (Huffington Post)
3. A 50-year-old Pakistani man who needs money to repay debts to his landlord is facing a horrible choice: Sell your children or a kidney. Despite a 2007 law banning selling transplant organs for money, Mohammed Iqbal has already been for pre-operation tests and is set to sell his kidney for between $1,100 and $1,600.
Pakistan enjoys the dubious distinction of being one of the world’s leading organ bazaars. At one point, there were about 2,000 transplants a year — with the majority of them going to what the government described as “transplant tourists” – wealthy foreigners. (CNN)
4. This is one trend we really hope doesn’t catch on! Victoria’s Secret supermodel Adriana Lima is featured in the new ad campaign for Givenchy with peroxided eyebrows. The look is nothing short of creepy.
Sadly Givenchy isn’t the only high fashion house adopting the no-eyebrow look – at the Balenciaga and Prada fall shows, the models had theirs removed so they’d look like aliens. And Kristen McMenamy (who is kinda scary-looking at the best of times) appears on the cover of Italian Vogue browless. Call me quizzical, but I’d feel bereft if I couldn’t raise an eyebrow in disdain. My theory: It’s a conspiracy by the Botox users of the world. If Nicole Kidman suddenly loses her brows, remember, you heard it here first! (Daily Mail)
5. First Joe, then LaToya and now it appears Michael Jackson‘s brother Tito has fallen for the lure of the checkbook and opened up to Britain’s Mirror newspaper about his late brother. In a series of articles this week, Tito has spilled the beans. His most interesting claim? That Michael was the biological father of his three children, Prince, 12, Paris, 11, and Blanket, 7.
“They are all his children,” Tito said. “Blanket is Michael’s, I can tell. Those eyes don’t lie. Them eyes are Michael over again. I see a lot of Michael in him.”
“Prince looks just like my grandfather,” he continued. “There’s no question they are Michael’s. They are 100% his. Paris and Prince are Michael’s children. Yes they are. Just because they look white [their mother is Debbie Rowe] doesn’t mean they are not his.”
“I have an uncle who is married to a white girl and they have three kids. Two of them are white and one is black. When they go to school people don’t even know they are brother and sister.”
Tito’s declaration comes amid claims from Michael’s dermatologist’s former lover (stay with me here, people) that the King of Pop was sterile from a savage kick to the nuts administered by his dad when he was a kid. Ewwww. TMI? I think so. (Mirror)
6. Debbie Rowe, the mother of Michael Jackson‘s two oldest children is suing mad. She claims that Rebecca White – who shared emails with Extra that she said were from Debbie claiming that “hell, no,” she didn’t want custody of Prince, 12, and Paris, 11 – is not one of her “good friends.” And that the woman made the whole thing up.
Rowe alleges that White’s word should not be trusted, and claims the following: That back in 2001, White claimed that she worked for supermodel Naomi Campbell, who forced her to smuggle drugs, and she made similar allegations against supermodel Kate Moss. Moreover, following Heath Ledger‘s death White alleged that she witnessed the late actor snorting ecstasy and cocaine. Rowe is asking for every penny that White may have obtained for her Extra interview, and unspecified damages. Tell us what you think: Is this just another publicity stunt on Rowe’s part, or is White simply full of it? (TMZ)
7. Paris Hilton has a lot to answer for. No, we’re not talking about dodgy sex tapes or exiting cars sans underwear. The reality star likes to dress up and accessorize her dogs, and now the latest trend to come out of China takes Paris’ idea and kicks it up a notch. In the ultimate slap to Mother Nature, and some pretty powerful undermining of canine dignity, the Chinese have taken to dyeing their pups all the colors of the rainbow. These photos from Wuhan in central China’s surfaced during the same week that China proposed its very first animal protection law, which states that anyone found guilty of animal cruelty may be fined up to $900 with the added penalty of having to spend two weeks in jail. So far these doggy dye jobs have not been labeled an act of cruelty, but doesn’t turning your beloved canine into a side-show freak sort of fall into that category? (Daily Mail)