White Chocolate Flourless Lemon Cake
This flourless, lemony light cake is like summer on a plate!
-Courtesy of famed Grande Vesuvio Hotel in Naples, Italy
Grande Vesuvio Hotel, a gorgeous hotel overlooking the bay of Naples, has breathtaking views and food. This is just one of the many sweet temptations Chef Giovanni Marzano offers guests, from Ricky Martin to Luciano Pavoriati, each day.
Makes 8 Servings
1 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces, 2 sticks, unsalted butter, softened
6 large eggs, separated
10 ounces almond flour
3 1/3 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
Zest of 3 lemons
1. Preheat the oven to 340 degrees F. Butter and flour eight 1/2 cup ramekins or a 9-inch cake pan.
2. Beat the sugar and butter in a standing mixer or with an electric hand mixer until creamy and light. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, until well combined, then add the zest and beat for at least 15 minutes, until light and fluffy.
3. Add the almond flour and white chocolate, and using a spatula or wooden spoon stir to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold the whites into the batter. Pour into the prepared pan or ramekins and bake for 15 minutes if using ramekins, 20-25 minutes if using one pan, until golden. Remove from the oven.
5. Serve at room temperature topped with confectioners’ sugar.