What’s for Dinner?
Wild Mushroom Risotto
-Chef Dominique Crenn Luce at the InterContinental Hotel San Francisco
8 cups mushroom stock
2 cups Acquerello rice
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon butter
½ white onion chopped
½ pound wild mushrooms
1/3 cup Grana Padano cheese
1 tablespoon of truffle butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large sauce pot (3-4 quart), add onion, sauté until translucent.
2. Add remaining olive oil and aquarello rice and sauté over medium heat to toast the rice, approximately 5 minutes. Deglaze pan with the white wine.
3. Add one cup of the simmering mushroom stock, stirring constantly, and simmer until the stock is absorbed. Continue adding stock as it is absorbed, 1/2 cup at a time, until all the liquid is absorbed.
4. Just before the rice is done add the fresh thyme, Grana Padano and truffle butter back to the pot. Stir gently to combine ingredients.
5. In a sauté pan, sauté the wild mushrooms with remaining olive oil until tender. Top the risotto with the mushrooms and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.