I love the idea of wearing leather, but am not totally sold on it being the right look for me. I mean, I think I’d look pretty silly in a pair of leather pants. Or … would I? I had a great opportunity to meet celeb stylist Nicole Chavez recently, when she showed me around the designer section of TJ Maxx in NYC. I could not BELIEVE how much great stuff they had — and how many affordable, designer leather items. Nicole convinced me to try on a pair of leather pants … omg I loved them!! I’m really regretting not buying them, but I did score a fab designer leather moto jacket that I know is going to completely vamp up my look this fall and winter.
Nicole, who began her career in the costume/wardrobe department of the Fox Network series “The O.C.” That trend-setting show launched Nicole’s career as one of Hollywood’s most highly sought after stylists — her client roster includes Catherine Zeta-Jones, Rachel Bilson, Katherine Heigl, Kristen Bell, and Nikki Reed. She is also currently a co-designer with Rachel Bilson for ShoeMint — so this girl knows her stuff! I asked her to give me some of her top tips for how a non-celebrity-with-a-stylist (like, say, MOI) can get more comfortable pulling off the leather trend. Here’s what she said:
– If a leather piece is too overwhelming, try a leather trimmed or mixed material piece. “Even when incorporating something new into your wardrobe, you want to make sure you still feel comfortable,” says Nicole.
Designer mixed media jacket; check TJMaxx.com for store locations.
– Have a plan: “Before you hit the store, decide what investment leather piece you want to shop for, whether it’s pants, skirt, shirt, or moto jacket,” she advises. “When shopping for it, don’t second guess yourself. If a piece catches your eye; put it in your cart!” (It’s likely to be gone if you change your mind and come back for it later; I learned this the hard way! – April)
Most of us can pull off a moto jacket; think of it as a hipper version of a black blazer! And a leather pencil skirt is edgy but classic.
– Try a leather cuff. Although it’s a jewelry piece, Nicole says a cuff can make a big statement.
How much do you love this handmade leather cuff with a gilded agate slice from Etsy designer Fine and Funky Jewelry?
– Accessorize with a leather bag in a statement color. Nicole says: “This fall T.J.Maxx is featuring some incredible designer bags in a variety of colors, so you’re sure to find something approachable yet expresses your style.”
Patent leather is a chic, sleek way to go.
– A thick leather belt with gold hardware is right on trend this fall. “That bit of sparkle makes your look more bold.”
What do you say, guys? Are you going to embrace the leather look this fall and winter?