Drugstore Beauty Bargains
20 fabulous drugstore finds
With the R-E-C-E-S-S-I-O-N in full swing, most of us are trying to pinch pennies everywhere we can. But that certainly doesn’t mean we don’t still want to look pretty or that we don’t still need our product fixes!
Now more than ever is the time to look at the shelves of your local drugstore for some of the hidden gems that can do wonders. Sometimes a new lipstick is all a girl needs to provide a little pick me up. And if you can get one for just a few bucks, then even better!
So we Bettys opened up our personal makeup bags and medicine cabinets and pulled together a list of our Top 20 favorite drugstore beauty bargains. Try them, we think you’ll like them!
Lotions & Potions
1. Nivea Body Lotion – This everyday moisturizer isn’t heavy, and it smells good. In fact our managing editor, April Daniels Hussar, once had a guy tell her it reminded him of his grandmother, but in a “good way.”
2. Got Milk? Skin Milk, Shaving Milk – This creamy lotion, made with 5 percent real milk protein, is a nice change from the uber fluffy shaving creams that leave you rinsing your razor after every stroke. It provides a nice shaving surface and great moisture, but without all of the gunk.
3. St. Ives apricot scrub – “I’ve been using it since I was 14 – so that’s like 21 years and running – it’s the best scrub out there, and it’s just $5.99!” raves editor Nicole Christie.
4. Johnson’s Softcream extra care healing hand cream – Our hands would never make it through winter without this stuff! And it’s not greasy-so you don’t have to worry about your coffee cup slipping from your hands or grossing out those you greet.
5. Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser – This is great for a deep clean and can be used on VERY sensitive skin. It also helps reduce redness.
6. Lubriderm, Daily Moisture with SPF 15 Lotion – For all the strapless, sleeveless bare-legged fashions of summer, this is the perfect moisturizer and sunscreen in one-so no excuses for those burned shoulders after an impromptu lunch in the park!
For Your Eyes Only
7. Revlon Colorstay eyeliner – We love this eyeliner because…it actually stays on, unlike most eyeliner. “I have weird eyelids I guess because most other eye makeup just disappears after an hour, or migrates below my eyes, which is a great look if you’re Courtney Love,” says April Daniels Hussar, managing editor. “But this one stays put!”
8. You’ve heard it over and over, but it’s true, good old Maybelline makes the BEST mascara. We’ve tried sooo many higher end brands, only to find ourselves back in raccoon mode. Whether it’s the tried and true pink and green Great Lash or the Volum’ Express there’s really no need to ever pay for more for great lashes!
9. Pastel eye shadows are hotter than ever, and we are loving JANE Be Pure Mineral Eye Shadow. It comes in a great array of colors, AND the ultra gentle formula is great for sensitive eyes. Plus, at just $4.99 a duo, you can buy a whole rainbow to play with. PHOTO
10. Garnier Fructis Style Super Stiff Gel – “I have very thick, wavy hair, and I have tried EVERY product. Nothing controls my hair like this,” says editor, Mary Beth Sammons.
11. Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo – For bouncin’ and behavin’ hair, check out this bargain shampoo. We’re serious, it works!
12. Psssssst Instant Spray Shampoo, Unscented – No time to wash your hair? This dry shampoo will save the day and banish oil. It’s also great for adding extra volume or a perk me up at the end of the day.
13. John Frieda Crystal Clear shape & shimmer hairspray – Lightweight and non-sticky (read: you can run your fingers through it…or HE can), but it still holds your style. AND it doesn’t weigh down baby fine hair!
Lip Smacking Good
14. Alba Coconut Cream Lip Balm – so yummy, so effective, and no nasty ingredients – also no bunny testing!
15. Jane Liquid Lip Color – Glosses can be clumpy and gooey, but not this one. It goes on smooth and stays on. “My personal favorite color for this summer is “touchy” a nice, non-obnoxious shade of pink,” says editor-at-large, Julie Ryan Evans.
16. Bonne Bell Lip Smackers – Take your lips on a trip back to grade school with these oldies but goodies. So many yummy flavors to try out while makin’ out!
17. Sally Hansen nail polish – the crazy nail wrap bonding stuff actually works-even though it’s quite chemical smelling when you put it on. For strong, break-proof nails, this stuff is tops.
18. Olay Daily Facials Lathering Cleansing Cloths – These quick-use cloths provide a convenient clean while on the run or when you’re too tired to mess with an entire routine. We can’t travel without ‘em.
19. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel – “This is another product I’ve been using for more than 20 years,” said editor Nicole Christie. “I’ve tried more expensive toners, but nothing beats this. It’s also like $4.99 for a big bottle!”
20. Burt’s Bees lemon cuticle cream – Banish your cuticles and moisturize your nails with this yummy cream. We like to apply it before bed!