In the News
Get Smart Style
Funky film-inspired fashion gear
In honor of the recently released Get Smart banking at the box office, our friends at StyleList.com tracked down their Top 10 Fashion Gadgets inspired by the spy series. From x-ray laptop bags to solar-powered bikinis able to charge your iPod to collapsible heels, the list has everything for the gadget lover in all of us:
10. As a lethal beauty, Agent 99 couldn’t resist Chanel’s weapon-wear for the runway. It’s fashion and function in one…IF you’re a spy.
9. Skooba’s Skreener Bag wouldn’t fool modern-day X-ray machines, but looks like it might. Fashion is all about appearances.
8. Dr. Jenny Tillotson constructed this scent dress to mimic the body’s circulation system. An interactive fabric emits a selection of scents depending on your mood to create a personal “smell bubble.” Probably not the most stealth of outfits.
7. All you need is love. Literally. The “Embrace Me” hoodie’s logo pattern, made of a silver conductive fabric, is powered when two people embrace: it lights up while giving off a faint heartbeat sound.
6. Cleopatra’s iconic gold arm band goes digital with the Nike+ SportBand. Runners can monitor distance, pace, time and calories burned and then plug into their laptop to download the data.
5. Charge your iPod Shuffle while you bask on the beach. NYU student Andrew Schneider’s solar bikinis are handmade and specifically designed to fit and flatter your body. A male version, with enough voltage to keep a six pack of beer cool (the original inspiration for the project) is in the works.
4. A tiny sensor strapped into the laces of the running shoes in the Nike+ Capable series makes it possible listen to real-time Nike audio feedback wirelessly through to the receiver.
3. Keep your data close to your heart and covered in bling with Swarovski’s clever charm with a hidden jump drive for stealing files (or just downloading party pics off friends’ laptops, for us NON-spys ).
2. Ideal for slope-side sleuth work. Burton’s Audex ski jacket is fitted with enough gear to fuel a private dj station. Bluetooth technology and a control panel with caller ID are hidden in the sleeve, and speakers and a microphone are concealed in the hood.
1. Proof that the future is finally here: fashion and comfort have merged. These Mary Janes are just one of several collapsible heels that have hit the market. Go from stilettos to kitten heels in a few clicks.