The Tipping List
No boys allowed!
By: Mary Beth Sammons
From surfing to knitting to marathon boot camps to luxuriating at a spa, no-boys-allowed girlfriend getaways are the hottest new travel trend. Whether you’re married or single, a few days of serious girl-time – without the company of men (as much as we love them!) – will do you wonders.
Get inspired: The Fine Living Network just launched a series called All-Girl Getaways, and Marybeth Bond, the author of 50 Best Girlfriends Getaways in North America, has just written a sequel – 50 Best Girlfriends Getaways Worldwide.
Before you pack your suitcases and stock up on suntan lotion and beach reading, here are 5 reasons to get excited about leaving him at home:
1. Consider your trip the ultimate guy gift. Remind him how you are doing him a favor helping him avoid countless hours of shopping, cooking classes and visiting museums.
2. Say it with us: “Me Time.” In fact-even if your girlfriends can’t join you, be your own best friend and enjoy the time with just YOU. Sixty percent of travel these days is done by women going solo.
3. Make it a multigenerational bonding experience. Bring along your mom, your daughters and your sister.
4. It’s your turn! Men go camping, fishing and golfing with their buddies, and kids head for camp. It’s time for you too to hit the road.
5. What’s out there? A lot. Spas, cruises, learning to cook native cuisine in Tuscany or Morocco, adventures such as scuba diving and horseback riding, or even knitting, crafting and sightseeing. Here are some sites where you can get your planning started:
If you’re still on the fence about ditching your guys, we have six little words for you…
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Think of it as vacationing/bonding Thelma and Louise style – but instead of driving off a cliff on your last day you just come home refreshed and rejuvenated. Brad Pitt optional.