I am a total bookaholic. Books threaten to take over my house — they’re stacked two-deep on my bookshelves and piled up in crazy towers NEXT to the bookshelves, and there’s a gigantic mountain of books teetering next to my side of the bed. And I won’t even mention my home office. I love books, and because of this love, it took me a LONG time to try out a Kindle. I just didn’t think I could get into reading a novel that way, without the heft and feel of the actual book. After having so many friends rave about their Kindles, I finally did cave and bought the most basic version available about a year ago. And … I LOVED IT! I was totally astonished to find that I could get just as “into” a book using it, and it’s so super handy and portable. I was a doubter, but now I’m a convert: Though I still enjoy buying an actual book now and then, I’ve done the majority of my reading this year on my Kindle.
Win a $100 Amazon Gift Card! Details at the end!
When offered the opportunity to try out and review the brand new Kindle Paperwhite, I was totes excited, because while I love that the screen of a standard Kindle mimics the page of a real book (and thus doesn’t cause eye strain from a bright screen), I do read a lot in bed, and I liked the idea of being able to make the screen brighter if I wanted to. I was also interested to see how the touch screen made the experience different. I don’t really mind pressing the buttons on my old Kindle, but it is a bit awkward when you want to enter a book or author name in the search field, say. I received the Paperwhite last week and I’ve already read two books on it — it’s great!! There are some really awesome features that make it a real step up from the regular Kindle, and overall, it’s a truly perfect holiday gift for anyone in the family.
Here are some of my favorite features (and then check out my Yummy Mummy Book Guide starting on the next page!)
* The display is gorgeous. It really looks and feels like the page of a book, except you can control the brightness of the screen, so if you want to read and your husband wants to sleep or watch TV with the lights down, no problem!
* There are a lot of really cool features, like a seamless integration with Facebook and Twitter so you can share passages and book recommendations; integration with Goodreads ; EIGHT WEEKS OF BATTERY LIFE; and a cool PageFlip feature that lets you skip page-by-page, scan by chapter, or skip to the end (or beginning), without losing your place!
* However, I think my very favorite feature is the “Smart Lookup”: not only can you highlight a word and get a definition and other reference info, but you can highlight a CHARACTER NAME and get info about who he or she is! This is SO helpful for me, because I’m always forgetting who minor or new characters are (especially when I’m reading something like a juicy Elizabeth George detective fiction book with a zillion characters!).
* It can be KID FRIENDLY! This is so key for me, because I’m happy to share my Paperwhite with my 10-year-old daughter, but I don’t necessarily want her to have access to my entire library (ahem!), nor unfettered access to the Kindle store or to, say, Wikipedia. Kindle FreeTime allows you to create a profile for your kids, set daily reading goals, select books they can read, and even set reading goals that they can celebrate with achievement badges. One of the best things about kids reading on the Paperwhite is how easy it is for them to look up unfamiliar words — talk about a Vocabulary Builder!
* Massive selection. There are millions of books, newspapers and magazine, including the latest best sellers, Kindle Singles, and more. Over 400,000 books are exclusive to the Kindle Store!
· Lowest book prices. Over a million titles are $4.99 or less, and over 1.7 million are $9.99 or less.
Ready to enter to win a $100 Amazon Gift Card and check out my Yummy Mummy Book Guide? Read on!