The Tipping List
Living in the Fast Lane
5 Ways to Run Your Life Into the Ditch
By: Cheryl M. Wenzel-Nelson, M.A.
Life is full of ups and downs, left and right turns, bumps in the road, and fender benders. There is no one-size-fits-all formula for having a successful and happy life.
Okay, so life coaches, spiritual gurus and others would typically tell you to focus on the road ahead and on what you can do to make it less bumpy. But sometimes, when you’re on that grueling uphill climb to take charge of your life and make it better, you just need a friend to give you the lowdown on what not to do for a while, so you can keep your eyes and energy focused on the tough stuff that transitions require. Here, we’ve put together a checklist of five “driver errors” to watch out for. If you’re not careful, these personas could veer your life off course:
1. Sports car ego: Your road map is all about heading in your own direction – at the expense of others’ perspectives and feelings.
2. Reckless driving: You make reckless and impulsive decisions.
3. Road rage: You hold grudges, yell at people and blame others for your problems.
4. Rearview mirror driving: Rather than keep your eyes on the road, you stay stuck in the past.
5. Blind spot: You ignore what’s right in front of you and live in denial.
Life is about knowing when to make detours, staying on your side of the road and reaching your destination in one piece.