Our Top 10 Favorite Celebrity Moms
(Angelina Jolie not included!)
-April Daniels Hussar
You can’t open a magazine or switch on your computer these days without being bombarded by celebrity mom and babies. But who are the ones who really seem to love motherhood, who protect their kids from all the craziness, who treat their children the way we treat (or will treat) our own? We took a vote amongst the Bettys, and this is our top 10.
These are the moms to whom we can most relate, who seem to be raising their kids they way we raise ours, and who not only embody our shared parenting values…but who acknowledge the peaks and valleys of motherhood. PLUS – we give you our Celeb Mom to Watch and our Most Controversial Celeb Mom!
Without further ado…
Our #1. Julia Roberts – This mom of three made an appearance at the top of everyone’s list. She’s clearly and beautifully devoted to her family: she keeps them out of the limelight, is extremely protective against paparazzi, and in fact makes her home base in New Mexico – not Hollywood. She’s the kind of mom we’d all love to have a play-date with, the kind of mom we’d feel comfortable babysitting our own kids.
2. Jenny McCarthy – She’s such a fierce advocate for her son and all kids with Autism. We really admire how she seems to have grown as a person and evolved from her younger, wilder MTV image – but still keeps her own identify and sense of self. It takes courage and guts to stand up against the mainstream, and she’s doing that for her child. Jenny’s the ultimate mama bear.
3. Maria Shriver – Despite the dual pressures and multiplied limelight of Hollywood and politics (not to mention her famous family), Maria has calmly raised down-to-earth kids. She always appears devoted and loving. She could have gone a really different direction with her kids – she has a lot of access to insider circles all over the board.
4. Tori Spelling – The girl we all once knew as “Donna” may (or may not) be the heir to the Spelling fortune, but this daddy’s girl has really come into her own – on her own – as a grownup, wife, and mother. Any time we see her interact with her children, she’s loving and attentive. Tori truly seems dedicated to learning how to be the best mom – and she clearly loves and embraces her most important role.
5. Toni Braxton – Another strong advocate for her autistic son, Toni is a real hands-on mom with all her children. She always kept her kids top priority, even when it meant putting her career second.
6. Demi Moore – In addition to her admirable co-parenting with Bruce Willis, which is especially amazing in Hollywoodland, we respect that she made the certainly tough decision to take herself out of the game at the height of her popularity and move to Idaho to focus on her kids. She’s back on the scene now with a happy second marriage and what seems like a truly supportive and loving extended home for her kids.
7. Cindy Crawford – We love the fact that she prefers being home with her kids than to be at her husband’s bar opening. She may be a supermodel – but she strikes us as one super grounded, super devoted, super mom.
8. Gwen Stefani – A master juggler! Gwen is multi-talented and extremely popular, yet there is always the sense that her son is her top priority. We admire how she is able to keep up a successful, demanding career (not just in music but in fashion) and find a way to integrate being a mom.
9. Jennifer Garner – Though we do see lots of photos of Violet, Jennifer appears to be such devoted, loving mother – it doesn’t seem like she’s pimping her baby out (unlike some other families), just going about her business, with paparazzi following her. Jennifer’s another mom anyone would be happy to have at a play date – down-to-earth and sweet and we bet she’s not afraid to make mud pies.
10. Kelly Ripa – Kelly admirably maintains that fine balance between career and family. Motherhood is clearly one of the very things that defines her, and her rock-solid marriage is nothing short of enviable.
The Bettys’ New Celeb Mom to watch:
Nicole Richie – for really surprising us by seeming pretty level headed and sweetly devoted! Who would have thought?!
Most Controversial Mom:
Angelina Jolie – The Bettys were divided! Some find her admirable and devoted; some find her off-putting and exploitative.