Simple Tips for Taking Care of Your Sensitive Skin
Three most important things you can do to take care of your sensitive skin.
-April Daniels Hussar, sponsored by Simple® Skincare
I have always been a girly-girl — I loved watching my mom put on makeup on the rare occasions that she did when I was little and I loved to play dress-up. Now that I’m all “grown-up” (in theory anyway!), I still love to play dress-up and my own daughter loves to watch ME put on makeup (and steals it when she can!). In fact, if I bring any more beauty products into the house, my husband is probably going to call “Hoarders.”
However — one thing I know, now that I’ve outgrown the bright blue eyeshadow and glittery lip-gloss phase, is that while makeup can certainly enhance or glam up the way you look — if your skin doesn’t look great, you don’t look great. And having sensitive skin makes it just a little bit more challenging.
Here are my top 3 tips for taking care of your sensitive skin so you can play dress-up to your heart’s content. They’re easy to do, but you have to actually do them!
1. Keep it clean. I am the worst at falling asleep with my makeup on, but on the weeks when I am more vigilant about cleansing my face at night, I can really tell a difference. I’ve been using Simple Skincare Moisturing Face Wash for a few months now and, as I’ve said before, it has become of one of my all-time favorite cleansers for sensitive skin — it really cleanses and nourishes my skin without stripping it dry OR leaving an annoying film. LOVE.
2. Stay hydrated. I’m not talking about overdoing it — I personally have never noticed that loading up on water has any affect on my skin, but I sure can see it in my face when I’m dehydrated! Alcohol especially can be really drying — a good rule of thumb, for more reasons than one, is to make sure that for every cocktail or glass of wine you have, drink a glass of water or a club soda.
3. Protect it! Girl, you ARE wearing SPF every day, right? That is such a simple skincare rule. And even I am really vigilant about not breaking it. Also, protect it from other elements like wind and freezing cold air but keepin it moisturized. (You know I love my Simple Skincare Replenishing Rich Moisturizer — click here to read my full review).
Here are some more of my tops tips for taking care of sensitive skin:
– Before you buy any of the many beauty products for sensitive skin out there, do some research. Go online and read reviews from people who’ve bought the product. Simply enter the phrase “review of _____” and the name of your product and you’ll get a ton of information.
– Talk to your friends who have sensitive skin. Ask them what works for them and what they don’t like to use!
– Test any product on the inside of your arm before you put it on your face. It never hurts to be cautious, especially if you have a big event, job interview, date, or whatever the next day.
– Never sleep in your makeup! Your skin needs to breathe overnight and makeup can clog pores and irritate skin. (I know this because I am bad about it!)
– If you do break out, don’t pick it! Picking it can make it worse.
– Wash your pillow case once a week. Dirty pillow cases can bug your skin.
– Still breaking out on your neck and shoulders after switching cleansers and moisturizers? Check your shampoo and conditioner. They may be the culprit. Switch to products made for sensitive skin.
FTC Full Disclosure: April Daniels Hussar is BettyConfidential’s Executive Editor and in that role she is a brand ambassador for Simple® Skincare. The views and opinions in this post are her own; visit www.facebook.com/SimpleSkincare to share your story on sensitive skin.