Summer’s Sexiest Hairstyle: The Messy Side Braid
It’s official—this season’s sexiest hairstyle is the messy side braid.
We often fall in love with celebrity hairstyles that are all but impossible to achieve at home. But this summer is different, kids. The gods of summertime hair have blessed us with one of the easiest and sexiest hairstyle trends: the messy side braid.
While we’re all familiar with the bedhead hair craze that has swept Hollywood over the last few seasons, the sultry, tousled look has transformed itself perfectly for summer. With the heat and humidity, all we want to do is get our hair out of our faces and off of our sweaty necks. Enter the side braid. We at Lock & Mane have noticed this gorgeous style on too many celebs to count: Blake Lively just last week at the Green Lantern premiere, Diane Kruger in Cannes, Minka Kelly, Jennifer Hudson, and even Olivia Wilde on the cover of last month’s Glamour Magazine.
Why we love it:
1. It’s easy! The genius behind the style is right in the name: messy. No need for perfection here. In fact, an overly smoothed, orderly braid will have you looking a little too Pocahontas or prim and proper school girl.
2. It’s sexy. The loose, undone style says I’m up for anything. Much like the difference between a severe ballerina bun and a loose, piecey topknot, the messy braid has a come-hither approachability to it. Sexy is its middle name.
3. You can fancy it up in a snap. Think a messy side braid is only appropriate for the beach? Not true. Take a look at Blake Lively’s hair candy. If you’re headed to a summer wedding or formal event, all you need is an elegant (preferably sparkly) hair accessory and you’re good to go.
How to get it:
1. If you have fine or normal hair, apply a texturizing spray throughout dry hair to give your hair some thickness and texture. If your hair is thick or frizzy, apply a light, shine-enhancing frizz control spray.
2. Sweep your hair to one side, separate it into three sections and braid loosely. Don’t fret over pieces that stick out (it will happen a lot if your hair is layered!). For a different look, fishtail braid just one section of the hair and leave the rest loose.
3. Secure the ends with a metal-free hairtie (like this Goody “Ouchless” one and add a few bobby pins wherever the style needs it.
4. Spray the style with a nonstick lightweight hairspray that will allow for movement.
Tell us: Will you be rockin a side braid this summer?
Jackie Cascarano is the Founder and Creative Director of Lock & Mane, the fastest growing luxury beauty retailer on the web. Featuring a carefully curated selection of hair products and luxe accessories along with a fun and informative style blog, Lock & Mane is the ultimate destination for luxury hair care online.