Betty on the News
Betty on The News: Top Stories
Susan Boyle is coming to America, Rep. Ensign’s Affair and more …
-The Betty Editors
1. Good news for the hordes of U.S. fans that have dreamed a dream of seeing Susan Boyle perform live – She’s coming to America! Well, probably.
She’s been invited to perform on America’s Got Talent, the American version of the one that shot her straight to superstar status – Britain’s Got Talent.
“If she’s up for it and she is well enough, our feeling is she probably will,” judge Piers Morgan told People. “Absolutely. Susan singing live to 25 million Americans? That would be great!” Though he added, “she still gets a bit tired sometimes, but she is 48.”
Since 95 percent of her fan mail reportedly comes from the Boyle-loving U.S. of A., fans are sure to roll out the red, white and blue carpet. Rest up, Susan! (People)
2. Same story, different politician. Nevada Sen. John Ensign admitted Tuesday that he had an extramarital affair from 2007-2008 with a woman who worked on his staff. The husband of the woman, who hasn’t been named, also worked for Ensign, and the couple is said to have been “close friends” with the senator … she, of course, a little closer. Ensign, who is rumored to by eyeing the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, offered the typical apology, accepting responsibility for his actions, blah, blah, blah. And like so many political wives, his seems to be standing by her man.
“Since we found out last year, we have worked through the situation and we have come to a reconciliation,” said wife, Darlene, in a statement. “This has been difficult on both families. With the help of our family and close friends, our marriage has become stronger. I love my husband.”
If there isn’t already, someone really should form a Capitol Hill support group for the scorned wives of politicians. (CNN)
3. In other sex scandal news … Alberto Cutie (a.k.a. “Father Oprah”), the Catholic priest from Miami who was caught on film frolicking at the beach with his girlfriend, Ruhama Canellis, has now married her. There was no church wedding yet for the couple, whose steamy pictures were published in a Mexican magazine in May, but rather a quick ceremony in front of a Coral Gables judge. There will reportedly be a religions ceremony in the Episcopal Church, of which Cutie is now a member, in the next couple of weeks for the Cuties. What a cute name for a couple – imagine the stationary options! (JustNews.com)
4. The term “fat chance” comes to mind upon hearing of British Airways’ outlandish scheme to cut corners. The corporation has “asked” its 40,000-strong staff to work for free … for up to a MONTH. Chief executive Willie Walsh first offered employees a choice between reduction in hours and unpaid leave, which swiftly turned into requesting that they volunteer by June 24 for between “one and four weeks of unpaid work.” In all, BA is believed to be seeking roughly 4,000 job cuts, including 2,000 voluntary lay-offs amongst 14,000 cabin crew members. So … what’s to become of those BA workers who have grown accustomed to eating? (Times Online)
5. Can we move on now?! Hopefully David Letterman’s SECOND apology to Sarah, Bristol and Willow Palin and “everybody else who was outraged” by his recent joke about A-Rod impregnating one of Palin’s daughters (he says he meant Bristol, who’s of age, she says he was talking statutory rape of Willow, a minor) will end the two-week long feud.
“I told a joke that was beyond flawed, and my intent is completely meaningless compared to the perception,” Letterman said. “I’m sorry about it and I’ll try to do better in the future.”
Outraged Palin supporters still don’t think it’s enough. “I think it’s a good first step in the right direction, but I don’t think it’s enough,” said John Ziegler, creator of firedavidletterman.com.
Please, enough really is enough. (Los Angeles Times)